Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Random People 7-24-11
Lens: sigma 85mm 1.4 Camera: k-x Photo Location: Omaha Nebraska ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: outsider, 07-23-2011, 10:12 PM

A new set of random people portraits from the last couple weeks or so. This is a part of a project i'm working on and mostly for fun. The idea behind my portraits is to capture the unique, inherent qualities from each person. Those things which cannot be given, taken away or altered through makeup, clothing, fasion or anything else. Partly because of this, I believe in altering the image as little as possible. The idea is to capture the person, as they are, out and about in a relaxed setting. This is the beauty of my photography. I learn my equipment, shoot and do as little editing as possible. Even when shooting in raw, which I almost always do, I find that some shots turn out to have near perfect exposure, plenty of color and contrast, which probably has a lot to do with the lenses I use. I do not use flash for these shots. Everything is with the k-x, k-5 and natural light. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by outsider; 07-23-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Views: 1,499
07-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's interesting is that in a few of your people photos, I've seen resemblances to people I know. While everyone is unique, there are always some who look somewhat alike. There was one picture that was so close to someone I know, it's eerie.
07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
What's interesting is that in a few of your people photos, I've seen resemblances to people I know. While everyone is unique, there are always some who look somewhat alike. There was one picture that was so close to someone I know, it's eerie.
Interesting. I've had that feeling, but only with people I see or meet in person. There was one girl at work that I had an overwhelming feeling that we had to know each other, but for the year that she was there, I never could figure it out. Funny thing is that before she knew I had that feeling, she was thinking the same thing. I don't think we did know each other, but maybe there's the rare instance where both of us knew people like the other person and it had a peculiar effect on our brains.
07-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm always intrigued by your street portraits... Great use of light in this series. A few of them really popped.

On a slightly different note.. how do you go about approaching your subjects? They seem incredibly relaxed!

07-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful pictures. All are so good that it's difficult to chose favorite , but for sake of it, 4th is my fav.
07-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
I'm always intrigued by your street portraits... Great use of light in this series. A few of them really popped.

On a slightly different note.. how do you go about approaching your subjects? They seem incredibly relaxed!
Approaching is easy most of the time. Unless I'm having trouble calming my nerves for some reason that day. Most people are happy to take the portrait I want and some even give a little extra. I always know when I'm communicating to them in the right way because I can feel it in myself and I can see it in their eyes, speech and body language. When a person feels comfortable, they will give you a hell of good expression/portrait. I just go up to them in a relaxed, confident way and ask if they'd like to take a picture for my project. I always, of course adjust this to be more formal and less, depending on the age, sex and vibe of the person. People are usually alright with posing for the picture, without a detailed explanation, as long as they feel comfortable with you. That's the hardest part sometimes, making the right impression right away. Things happen quickly when you're approaching strangers and they've usually made up their mind within 5-10 seconds.
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think I've run into the guy in the turned around baseball cap many times before, how interesting.
Wonderful project, I enjoy each series you post.
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I like them all, but I really like the old man photo. That old guy sure has some stories to tell I bet.

07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated. I'd figured you must be one hell of a convincing guy haha.
07-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

outsider, I've been following your project for quite a while, and I feel it's about time I chime in. Usually, I'm not a big fan of close-up portraits, but there's just something about your photos that clicks with me. I love the expressions you've captured, the natural lighting, the lack of post-processing, and as-is nature of each person.

I'm looking forward to seeing more work from this project, and I hate how you make me wanna buy that Sigma 85/1.4. Anyways, thanks for sharing!
07-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Man i want this lens

As a side note i think most of your images should have a bit more exposure. Not much just slightly brighter..... personal opinion of course To each their own, just an attempt at a helpful "tip" (for lack of a better word)
07-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm not sure why it took me so long to comment, because I very much admire what you’re doing here. There is a refreshing honesty and simplicity exuded by your captures that clearly evokes the ethos of your project. Most impressive to me is the considerable social acumen you must possess to achieve such results with complete strangers in an uncontrolled environment. Your work resonates with me, and I thank you for sharing it with all of us.
07-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, doesn't work overseas very well. Here in Austria, people are pretty cool to the idea. But, ocassionally you get lucky.
07-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments! This kind of photography isn't always easy and it never gets easier approaching strangers, but knowing that I may get something emotionally moving (and in focus) is enough to keep me stubborn enough to keep going. I try to approach people as if I were born yesterday. Happy, care free and as though they're essential to making the photography work. I have certain spots I hang out during certain times of day, I know I'll get the lighting and background I want, but i'm pleasantly surprised by the composition when I catch someone on another side of downtown. The color and bokeh can really take on a radically different direction!
07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Man i want this lens

As a side note i think most of your images should have a bit more exposure. Not much just slightly brighter..... personal opinion of course To each their own, just an attempt at a helpful "tip" (for lack of a better word)
Thanks for the advice yeatzee, I agree. The exposure thing can be a funny thing. Some shots are dark-ish, yet have very good micro contrast. If this is the case, I usually don't brighten much, as long as the brightness is true to how it really was. Others are underexposed a bit and i'm very cautious about hiking the brightness in PP. I'm obsessive about noise and if keeping it down means leaving it a bit underexposed, that's what I usually do. I do this, knowing that most people are going to see a bit brighter, more contrasty image anyways, since I still use my trusty old CRT moniter. But I am conincidentally, getting consistently brighter images in camera since I'm adjusting the exposure compensation more frequently as I move from one area to another.