Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dilemma ....
Posted By: jankok, 11-22-2007, 09:34 AM

These are two attempts to PP a picture. Which one do you prefer and why? I would appreciate your opinion.
The pics are rather big, so don't forget to press F11 in your browser.

or this one

Views: 1,946
11-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please try again. I don't see either image in your post.
11-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Actually, both photos suffer from under and over exposure. In the first, the highlighted area is spot on, but the person is underexposed. So when you attempted to correct in the second photo, the Highlight became overexposed and the person and shaded areas became closer to an accurate exposure. What to do? The only thing I can think of to mask areas and create layers, where each area is rendered with a correct exposure and then flatten (combine) the image. But this a long and complex process and that is why few people beyond professionals do it.
Too much work.

JR
11-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Please try again. I don't see either image in your post.
Here's the links Mike.
pic 1

pic 2
for some reason Firefox says they're Forbidden, but they opened in Internet Explorer for me.

jankok,

I tried to fix them with traditional methods, but I just couldn't lighten that over exposed area enough.
So I did a major Vignetting job on it to give it this look.

Someone might have a better idea.

Last edited by little laker; 11-22-2007 at 07:46 PM.
11-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, this is my first posting of embedded pictures in this forum. I must figure it out how to do it. When I previewed them they showed fine, but now they're gone and only the text remained (browsing in FireFox 2.0.XX).
Perhaps someone out there knows a solution - how to embed images from Pbase in this forum?

Anyway - before I figure it out, here are the links:
Sleme_071007-090426_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com

and
Sleme_071007-090426_J_R02.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
11-23-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for finding a way to get the pictures. I'm using only FireFox and can't see them in my post at all.

I don't know what you see on your monitor, but in the picture in your reply all the yellow and green colours are gone. The picture is mostly light brown and foggy without contrast. I verified this on two separate systems: one (roughly) calibrated CRT monitor and another one with an uncalibrated LCD monitor. The result is similar in both.
Perhaps you could run the programs QuickMonitor and QuickGamma from this page:
QuickGamma
and follow the instructions on your system. This is an easy and inexpensive way of roughly calibrating your system.
I don't think the pictures have many under/over exposed parts. Please check the histograms of both pictures for R, G, B channels and lightness.
Only the second picture shows some underexposed areas (backpack). Overexposed areas do not show in histograms.
If you see overexposed areas on your screen, then your monitor and graphics card settings should probably be adjusted.
For histogram checking you can use PhotoMe (PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor) or FastStone (FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter) viewer programs.
11-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Actually, both photos suffer from under and over exposure. In the first, the highlighted area is spot on, but the person is underexposed. So when you attempted to correct in the second photo, the Highlight became overexposed and the person and shaded areas became closer to an accurate exposure. What to do? The only thing I can think of to mask areas and create layers, where each area is rendered with a correct exposure and then flatten (combine) the image. But this a long and complex process and that is why few people beyond professionals do it.
Too much work.

JR
Hi! Thank you for viewing and commenting my pictures.
I don't think the pictures have many under/over exposed parts. Please check the histograms of both pictures for R, G, B channels and lightness.
Only the second picture shows some underexposed areas (backpack). Overexposed areas do not show in histograms.
If you see overexposed areas on your screen, then your monitor and graphics card settings should probably be adjusted.
For histogram checking you can use PhotoMe (PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor) or FastStone (FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter) viewer programs.
The difference between the two pictures is only slightly different contrast settings and a few other small adjustments in the RAW converter.
11-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Janko
Much prefer the second image. And I don't think the forest part is overexposed (getting close to it but you stopped short enough) I think the first shot the shadows are a bit too dense and too much detail is lost. BTW I am using IE and am having no problems seeing the images (including stu's strangely colored one).

NaCl(thats my story and I'm sticking to it)H2O

11-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Janko
Much prefer the second image. And I don't think the forest part is overexposed (getting close to it but you stopped short enough) I think the first shot the shadows are a bit too dense and too much detail is lost. BTW I am using IE and am having no problems seeing the images (including stu's strangely colored one).

NaCl(thats my story and I'm sticking to it)H2O
Hi, SaltWater!
Thank you for your comment. It is an interesting one. In the last year I have learned quite a lot about how a picture appears on different display devices.
On my display (still a good old CRT) both images appear quite similar. The second one is a little bit more contrasty, but especially in the bright to medium portions shows a bit less detail than the first one. On the other hand, the first image, while showing some more detail, looks a bit flat and that's my dilemma.
But probably quite a lot depends on the display device used, and how it is calibrated.
11-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Janko, here is what I would do:

Heinrich
11-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Heinrich! You did a very good correction to both pictures. They appear more balanced than the pics I posted. Only the second one seems to me a bit too saturated.
How did you do it?
11-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Janko, I opened them in PS PS3 Raw, adjusted curves a bit, in PS a little shadows-highligt, a quick burn in the shadows and a tiny bit USM.

In the 2nd one I added color correction and increased saturation (before USM). I over saturated the second one purpose just to show what can be done with a difficult image.

If one would take more time and work with adjustment layers the images could be further improved but Ii just did a quick job on them.

Heinrich
11-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Too much work.

JR
Whether or not their just at or over the line for under- and/or over-exposure, I'd agree with JR that one has places that are too dark, and the other has pushed the limits (for my tastes) on being too bright.

I will disagree with him however about layering being too difficult. Here's my attempt from layering your two versions using a mask (and the paintbrush tool) to bring the darker version of the forest back up. I used a slight levels tweak to your brighter version, and then desaturated the yellows and reds a bit on the flattened version. It took just a couple minutes and I am far from a professional at this.

11-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, Heinrich!
Your and betsypdx's editing made me try again. My two originally posted pictures were directly output form the raw converter, without editing in a bitmap editor (i.e. a PS type program). Now I took the two pictures as posted and tweaked them individually in PSP X and then joined them into one picture using layers and some masking. Here's the result:

I would appreciate your opinion.
11-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, Betsypdx!
Thank you for your edit. On my monitor it appears a lot better than my originals, but the dark parts are still a little too dark, and the sunny part of the wood lacks a bit of "sparkle".
Your editing explanation gave me the idea to try again using (as you did, if I understood correctly) my both jpegs as input layers for the edit. Thank you!
The result is posted in my reply to Heinrich above.