Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Some "macro" shots with a Pentax supertelephoto
Camera: K10D Photo Location: My garden in NW Arkansas 
Posted By: Marc Langille, 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Thought I'd try something a bit different, since the hummingbirds are not always where I want them to be!

Having that MFD of just 11.5 feet from the front element is very, very useful at times. I didn't realize how good this lens is for photographing larger insect subjects - it's not just for birds! Not all images were taken at 600mm - indicated if not at that FL - otherwise all information is in the EXIF link below each image. For reference, each image is approximately 33% of actual size.

Common Buckeye

EXIF

@540mm

EXIF

Yellow Tiger Swallowtail

EXIF

EXIF

Black Swallowtail

EXIF

EXIF

I am so glad that we finally got some rainfall just a few days before last weekend. It was most welcome, since everything is greening up nicely again, despite the very high temps of late (100+ F). I must admit that this sure beats the heck out of chasing the butterflies around the garden with the FA* 200/4 Macro - just stay in place with the tripod + some shade, and have fun...

I hope you enjoy these images!

Regards,
Marc
Views: 1,664
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Marc. I hadn't thought about doing this with our copy. I might have to haul it up to our local gardens and try some "up close" from far away shots of the bumblebees there.

So you dont need that FA* 200/4 macro anymore eh?
07-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Nice shots Marc. I hadn't thought about doing this with our copy. I might have to haul it up to our local gardens and try some "up close" from far away shots of the bumblebees there.

So you dont need that FA* 200/4 macro anymore eh?
Clint, you cannot contain yourself if there is a possible angle on an FA* lens!!

Thanks for the comments good sir - it's actually quite fun. I think you would enjoy it, although I'd heartily recommend the gimbal setup over anything else for those kind of shots.

Cheers,
Marc
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful flutterby captures marc.... rich colors, creamy bokeh, wonderful crisp details... dave m

09-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Dave - I've been super busy of late, and haven't been spending much forum time these days!

Regards,
Marc
09-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The backgrounds look great! Not only bokeh effects but also the perspective due to the long focal length.