Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Attempt at Focus Stacking
Lens: M50/1.4 reversed Camera: K-7 Photo Location: CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jswillems, 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM

I wanted to take a break from my usual subjects and decided to try some macro photography. I decided to try some focus stacking on some of the insects from my collection. There are some spots where I missed the focus, but for my first try, and using a rather imprecise set-up, I was happy with the reuslt!

Views: 3,197
07-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't do badly here Josh.
Stacking makes macro work doable with the simplest of setups.
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Ash!
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

I like it....maybe I will try that myself!
Regards!

07-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What is it?

Some type of wasp?
07-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, it's a wasp, I believe of the family Sphecidae. Nowhere even close to the quality of your work, but hey, at least I have something to work towards!
07-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jswillems Quote
Yes, it's a wasp, I believe of the family Sphecidae. Nowhere even close to the quality of your work, but hey, at least I have something to work towards!
Interesting. Im pretty sure I caught this Sceliphron caementarium the other day, but my friend accidently let it go before could shoot it.

Thanks! Im glad I could be some type of inspiration Is there any reason why such a fast shutter speed was needed? How did you move the camera/subject incrementally?
07-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

excellent work and composition.... superb detail...dave m

07-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
excellent work and composition.... superb detail...dave m
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Thanks! Im glad I could be some type of inspiration Is there any reason why such a fast shutter speed was needed? How did you move the camera/subject incrementally?
Not only am I new to macro photography, I'm also completely new to using an external flash, so I'm still trying to figure things out. Is there a downside to using a fast shutter speed as long as there's enough light? I was moving the wasp back and forth on a simple slide that I slapped together out of some wood. It works, but it's really not precise and is easy to miss spots. Here's one I did last night of a white-lined sphinx moth that I like, except for the area above and to the right of the eye where I missed the focus. Ahh well, practice makes perfect!

07-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well unless your setup is VERY unstable you don't need such a fast shutter speed. For "in the wild" shots I normally use anywhere from 1/40 down to like 1/15. The flash stops the motion For my studio macro's I shoot anywhere from 1-3 second shutter speeds. Also, are you using a remote?