Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My better half
Posted By: Jonas B, 12-16-2006, 09:13 PM

Topic "stolen" from several other places, not a new idea at all this.
The idea is that the shy people around can post not a self portrait, but a picture of our beloved ones. A partner through life comes to mind, a boy- or girlfriend, the one we look up to, best friend. heck, even your dog or cat may do if that applies.

I can start with this one:

©Jonas B 2006, Elisabeth, November 2006

The picture is taken from my final thread at DPR, Autumn PLOG 2006:
PLOG - Autumn 2006 - Starts here: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It's not a flattering picture, and it doesn't exactly follow the rules. But it is my picture of E, and the way i remember her as of November this year. Many of my pictures are sorted into projects folders (projects). One of my projects is "Elisabeth Monthly".

Comments, or reflections, are welcome. It may very well be an interactive thread, sort of. Any takers?

Last edited by Jonas B; 01-03-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Views: 9,372
12-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
That is a great photo of your wife. I doubt I will live long enough to have been married 50 + years. Congratulations.

Thank you, it was just a grabshot with available light. By the looks of it you will be around here for a day or two yet. :-)

Ask her if she will allow you to take some shots of her needlepoint or embroidery, that would be very interesting.
You did give me an idea but it is going to be a challence. All her work is framed behind glass which I would not like to remove, I'll give it a shot after the holidays.

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 12-23-2006 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add text
12-24-2006, 06:18 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
My better half and best friend.............
for the past fifty+ years
Hi Heinrich. I can only second Clarence. A pleasure to look at, a snappy in available light or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stomie Quote
Jonas, you're obviously very much healthy, alive & kicking here in Pentax Forums (your image is testament as usual). A gritty image, strong personality, full of thought & provoking reaction.
Have a great Xmas
Stomie
Thank you Stomie. The gritty ones are to my liking, be it pictures or girls! Btw, I didn't miss out on your illustrated reminder about minorities being held back. The world really doesn't look the way I would like it to!
Anyway:
A great Christmas and a Hayppy New Year to you as well!
12-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I would have read this post a long time ago....
I think all of your families are so wonderful looking and the shots are out standing!
hopefully I can add one soon.... If only work will be over
here are some former pics that were made by my wife....

from left to right..My daughter nadia, my step daughter cassandra, my oldest step daughter meagan, and of coarse me

My common law wife and my daughter
cheers

randy

Last edited by slip; 12-24-2006 at 08:11 AM.
12-29-2006, 12:01 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Loved ones

Thank you for sharing this image of your loved one Jonas. I'll join in the spirit and post this one from Christmas morning. My husband is opening a package that has cards for him to play with my youngest son who is also in the shot looking much more excited. The big orange mass in the far background is my 22 year old son, no piece of my 17 year old in there though.

12-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #50

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
It's not a flattering picture, and it doesn't exactly follow the rules.
Hmmm ...

I've circled around this thread for about a month now and keep returning to this - too small!! - pic of Elisabeth.

It's not a flattering picture? Maybe. But a great picture as far as I can tell. There is a certain thoughtfulness and uneasiness I sense looking at it. But I can't nail it, so I keep returning for another look ...

Looking at it I - as one who is very fast in noticing photographic issues - don't think about the photograph but immediately about the person I see - a great achievment IMO.

But one thing, Jonas, forcing myself to think about the photographic aspects: Not following the rules? Come on! You do follow them - and you do it brilliantly.

Wonderful sidelight and perfect choice of in focus area, producing depth and detail where it belongs, a nice diagonal (the cigarette) leading from the left into the image; the eye then is blocked by the dark right side from leaving the pic, travels upward to the right eye perfectly in focus, then looks to the left in the lighter regions, only to be guided again by the cigarette to the right beginning another circle of inspection. Perfect example of how to compose a portrait ...

Phil
12-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Here's one of mine:

one of my closest buddies, that is:

Just had to try out my new FA100, and no one else would model for me. My first portrait attempt ever and it shows - didn't capture his expressive eyes at all...
12-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Great colour and what a cute buddy! Congrads on the lens, Tom. Did he just finish his lunch? That tongue is so salmon pink!

James

p.s. I thought you were nearly there to grab a Fa* 200mm f4 macro?

I got mine in Taiwan and I would go there to pick that lens up in March... Hopefully it is not a hoax as I already paid in full...

12-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #53
Veteran Member

James

I found out at the very last minute that the 200 was a 67 lens.

Had to settle for the 100, but got it for such a good price, I can re-sell for more if I eventually find the *200.

They are scarce, though... You did good finding yours.
12-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #54
Veteran Member

That is a great picture, and the timing of the tongue really makes the shot.
12-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I heard there was one in ebay ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I found out at the very last minute that the 200 was a 67 lens.

Had to settle for the 100, but got it for such a good price, I can re-sell for more if I eventually find the *200.

They are scarce, though... You did good finding yours.
Tom, I saw this german ebayer trying to sell his A* 200mm f4 macro a couple of times for 2020 US dollars. No one even attempted to buy it..

I read that these two lenses FA* and A* have the same optics. You might be interested. This guy will post that item again when we talked about this lens a bit more frequently in different forums. These sellers keep their eyes on the forum topics all the time to sell their stuff...

I am not sure whether mine is real at all, risking my credit card fraud by buying from this asian dealer. 2050 US dollars. I will let you know by march 2006...

Good luck to both of us
12-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philzucker Quote
Hmmm ...

I've circled around this thread for about a month now and keep returning to this - too small!! - pic of Elisabeth.

It's not a flattering picture? Maybe. But a great picture as far as I can tell. There is a certain thoughtfulness and uneasiness I sense looking at it. But I can't nail it, so I keep returning for another look ...

Looking at it I - as one who is very fast in noticing photographic issues - don't think about the photograph but immediately about the person I see - a great achievment IMO.

But one thing, Jonas, forcing myself to think about the photographic aspects: Not following the rules? Come on! You do follow them - and you do it brilliantly.

Wonderful sidelight and perfect choice of in focus area, producing depth and detail where it belongs, a nice diagonal (the cigarette) leading from the left into the image; the eye then is blocked by the dark right side from leaving the pic, travels upward to the right eye perfectly in focus, then looks to the left in the lighter regions, only to be guided again by the cigarette to the right beginning another circle of inspection. Perfect example of how to compose a portrait ...

Phil
Hi Phil,

and thank you for your comments - coming from you feels good as it is a kind of confirmation that also a snapshot (a picture not planned for) can follow the rules, or make people look a second time.. The picture isn't cropped much and it can be done bigger without degradation.

I started the thread a forthnight ago. Is it the festivitas making you perceive time with a factor 2?

Rules... Well, there really are no rules, at least not when you have tried them. I was more thinking of the practise we see at forums where people tend to post mainly cute, funny, decent or beautiful pictures. (Btw, do you have a better half to post, or do you stick to your own multi-existence and just pick one of you?

I wish you, and everybody else here a Happy New Year! Long and prosper!

all the best from me,
12-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Very nice

Greetings Jonas! Good thread.

Flattering or not, a portrait's purpose is to depict it's subject accurately as the photographer sees. I think it's a very nice shot, candid (probably) and the conversion is always great with your images.

Here's my entry:

Cheers!
-Asad
12-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #58
Veteran Member

That is so cool. The light 'stroke' outline of her and the tinge of color as it shines through her hair. Nice.
01-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #59

Beth

Interesting thread, well done to Jonas.

Here's a few of my girlfriend, some of you may recognise her from previous posts in the other forum.

Cheers
Ben
01-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Greetings Jonas! Good thread.

Flattering or not, a portrait's purpose is to depict it's subject accurately as the photographer sees. I think it's a very nice shot, candid (probably) and the conversion is always great with your images.
Hi Asad,

A lot of water... again it's me being on the slow side maybe owing you a mail.

Thank you - nice comments are after all the best ones...
Your picture, is it a sign of some good news? I hope so! --> hopefully we'll come to see some more of her. This is a good start, and a little exciting also.

Cheers, to you, pictures, and a New Year!