Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My better half
Posted By: Jonas B, 12-16-2006, 09:13 PM

Topic "stolen" from several other places, not a new idea at all this.
The idea is that the shy people around can post not a self portrait, but a picture of our beloved ones. A partner through life comes to mind, a boy- or girlfriend, the one we look up to, best friend. heck, even your dog or cat may do if that applies.

I can start with this one:

©Jonas B 2006, Elisabeth, November 2006

The picture is taken from my final thread at DPR, Autumn PLOG 2006:
PLOG - Autumn 2006 - Starts here: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It's not a flattering picture, and it doesn't exactly follow the rules. But it is my picture of E, and the way i remember her as of November this year. Many of my pictures are sorted into projects folders (projects). One of my projects is "Elisabeth Monthly".

Comments, or reflections, are welcome. It may very well be an interactive thread, sort of. Any takers?

Last edited by Jonas B; 01-03-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Views: 9,382
12-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This definitely has a character. "Not give a damn of the world". Independent and assertive. You probably captured one personality trait of hers here...

Not sure she knows this is being placed on line though??

I did not quite understand what you meant by "any takers"?

cheers
12-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This definitely has a character. "Not give a damn of the world". Independent and assertive. You probably captured one personality trait of hers here...
Thank you for commenting. Maybe her being independent and assertive is what saved our relation for so long time...

Not sure she knows this is being placed on line though??cheers
I think Don ones answered a similar question with something like: -Heck no, that would just strengthen their egos and exaggerated opinions of themselves.
But that would be lying. E knows she sometimes is published this way:
E: -You mean, letting more enjoy from my beauty.
J: -Hrm, yes, very thoughtful of me, don't you think?

I did not quite understand what you meant by "any takers"?
Well, I'm not exactly eBaying Elisabeth. Naturalmente "Any takers" should more be read like: Anyone else having a better half? Maybe best to get that very clear.

regards,
12-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LOL. My comment was meant to be light hearted. I mean no harms

I enjoyed your post as your style of candid protrait is a class of its own, quite different from a lot of posts being more "testing sample" oriented.

This photo definitely has a taste (cigarette butt taste hehe)

James

12-17-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hej Jonas

I see what you are after. Let me add one of my better half and the result hanging from her neck. This may not be the most flattering photo but to me shows the closeness we have in our small family. Living as far away from our extended families as we do, our own little family means a lot.

Cheers

Eddie
12-17-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Your image shows exactly THAT - it EXUDES Love and intimacy. Probably not placed here for CnC but composition and lighting is just perfect. Personally, I think it IS excellent.
12-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Jonas, no offence but I personally think the cropping is all wrong as I think whether you meant a negative or positive message (probably you meant neither) of smoking the cigarette should not have been cropped-off.

Knowing a thing or two (unfortunately) about smoking this image shows me a very worried or nervous person (sorry E) - the ashes and cig. end show it all.

I like the monochromatic choice which display the facial features and perhaps could use a little more contrast. Again, you probably didn't ask for CnC, but I couldn't help it.

12-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here is a shot of my better half, Gail, putting the squeeze on Mango Joe.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:01 PM.
12-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hej Eddie,

Yes, the exact opposite side of the globe... I understand what you mean and it also is expressed just fine in your picture. Sometimes pictures are like music: there is good music, bad music and music you can refer to, or have memories from. It seems as you are doing well. I wish you all a God Jul and Gott Nytt år!

====================================

Hi JCSullivan,

What's CnC? Critique and... ?
No problem - I'm not offended about anything anyone thinks about my pictures. I don't think E. takes any offense either - but I probably won't post a picture of her with a drink in her hand.
More contrast... Yes, looking at it now I wish I had toned down the upper left corner somewhat. Even more contrast in general? Hmm, I'll have a look at that.

regards,

====================================

Hello Clarence,

That's some serious squeezing. I guess you and Mango Joe share those hugs?!

regards,
12-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing

I looked at your picture and said 'oh, that's a nice idea' and then I read your final PLOG, and somehow your post became more sombre. I don't know, I guess I feel like I'm watching a friend move to a distant shore, with a mixture of both happiness and sorrow.

I must add to this thread, and of course my significant other is a well-known (to those who watch my pictures) 10-year-old. All of my most beloved photographs are of him, and the one below was from a fantastic trip to my favorite big city - New York. It shows him transfixed by a simple mirrored walkway, doing as he always does - finding joy in the simple things in life.

Your friend,
Sean
12-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

JCSullivan. Thanks for the comments. CnC is always welcome.

Clarence. There is a lot of feeling in that photo. Nice.

Sean. I love kids because they see a lot of things that we adults are to busy or set in our ways to see. I love going out with my 11 year old to take photos and then compairing the different ways we take the shoots. He constantly amaze me.

Jonas. A God Jul and Gott nytt år to you.

Cheers

Eddie
12-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Great shot Jonas! It's not exactly what I'd consider flattering, but that's beside the point. It's one of those pictures that sticks in your mind.
12-18-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice one Jonas....here is my wife and son taken with the K100 a few months back.
12-18-2006, 05:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

CnC Comment and Critique.
12-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I looked at your picture and said 'oh, that's a nice idea' and then I read your final PLOG, and somehow your post became more sombre. I don't know, I guess I feel like I'm watching a friend move to a distant shore, with a mixture of both happiness and sorrow.
I'm not sure I understand really. What I know is that if you for some reason ever visit Sweden, or EU, we'll just setup something making sure we can meet.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I must add to this thread, and of course my significant other is a well-known (to those who watch my pictures) 10-year-old. All of my most beloved photographs are of him. -snip-
I remember that picture from a post with N.Y-pictures. I also remember some other ones showing a warm and close relation.

As I said above; good music, bad music, music making us remember. This is a good picture when put into context. Not that bad as a stand-alone either, but then in another way.

Thank you for your comments Sean!