Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Best reason for buying a sigma 500 super..
Posted By: slip, 12-16-2006, 09:23 PM

I let my wife use the 500 super with her k100 and this is a good example why I bought it....shots like these would be impossible without it, unless I had an ultra fast lens, which we can't afford...

I took my k10 and tried without the flash, but had some dissapointing results due to hand shake and lack of natural light, any movement was blurring, even at ISO 1200... need more practice

cheers

randy
Views: 2,937
12-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
good action picture, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can count their hair in the full sized photo
12-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Its a nice strong flash
12-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm sorry Randy, but in rock climbing photography circles this type of shot is called a 'butt-shot'. It's among the least flattering. Speaking as a former spandex-clad volleyball player, my father heard about it if he didn't chimp these types of shots out of the few he showed me or my teammates.

Have you any other examples where you or your wife used this flash? It certainly is powerful, and capable of stopping the motion, but these girls aren't portrayed under the best possible light (pun unintended).

12-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is impressive. All girls in synchrony in the air!

12-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Randy,

Pretty cool in fact. The right moment! I wish it was from another angle as I imagine seeing their faces while all jumping like that would have been nicer.
12-17-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
I'm sorry Randy, but in rock climbing photography circles this type of shot is called a 'butt-shot'. It's among the least flattering. Speaking as a former spandex-clad volleyball player, my father heard about it if he didn't chimp these types of shots out of the few he showed me or my teammates.

Have you any other examples where you or your wife used this flash? It certainly is powerful, and capable of stopping the motion, but these girls aren't portrayed under the best possible light (pun unintended).
Hi and thanks for the comment.
Unfortunately we could not take shots from the front, as we had no place to stand. I can see why you would think it is not flattering, but I wanted people to see it not for the "butt shot" but the speed of the flash, how everyone was caught in mid air.
If I had any front shots, I would have posted it
Sorry if it offended you or others,

thanks

12-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Randy,
The more I use my old AF280T with the K10, the more I miss the Sigma.
What mode was your camera and flash set to?

-Alan
12-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am not offended by the shot, to me it does demonstrate the capability of the flash. Fun capture

My mind sometimes runs to the bizzare and it looks like a squadron of F-16 (yr olds) doing a fly by at an air show.
12-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I wanted people to see ...the speed of the flash, how everyone was caught in mid air.
If I had any front shots, I would have posted it
Thanks. Butt-shots are a personal pet peeve to me, because I've been the subject of a few. I think you can see that I'm really of the mind that not all shots need to be taken. In cases where you can only get rear ends, I think most photogs would be better served to place their camera in their lap or bag and just watch the show.

However you still haven't convinced me that this is the best reason "for buying a sigma 500". You have no other shots to post, and don't seem to have any other commentary about the flash. Why should I buy this flash over the alternatives?

All you have done is show that Joe Ordinary can correctly mount a flash unit on the top of the camera, take a poorly composed snap in which you can see the cone of light on a blue gymnastics mat, and post said snap in a fluff post on the internet. I really don't mean to go after you on this, but I'm also not going to blow sunshine up your shorts. (Or snow parka.)

I already know that a flash unit will help you to capture fast moving folks in a poorly lit gym environment, and that pretty much any unit will do it. I personally used a Pentax AF220T and a ZX-10 in green mode to pop my classmates for hundreds of shots, back when all I really knew how to do was put batteries in camera and flash and press the shutter button.

Can you give me a reason why the Sigma is better? I really don't mean to be harsh, but I'd like you to qualify your statement.
12-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Butt-shots are a personal pet peeve to me, because I've been the subject of a few. I think you can see that I'm really of the mind that not all shots need to be taken. In cases where you can only get rear ends, I think most photogs would be better served to place their camera in their lap or bag and just watch the show.

However you still haven't convinced me that this is the best reason "for buying a sigma 500". You have no other shots to post, and don't seem to have any other commentary about the flash. Why should I buy this flash over the alternatives?

All you have done is show that Joe Ordinary can correctly mount a flash unit on the top of the camera, take a poorly composed snap in which you can see the cone of light on a blue gymnastics mat, and post said snap in a fluff post on the internet. I really don't mean to go after you on this, but I'm also not going to blow sunshine up your shorts. (Or snow parka.)

I already know that a flash unit will help you to capture fast moving folks in a poorly lit gym environment, and that pretty much any unit will do it. I personally used a Pentax AF220T and a ZX-10 in green mode to pop my classmates for hundreds of shots, back when all I really knew how to do was put batteries in camera and flash and press the shutter button.

Can you give me a reason why the Sigma is better? I really don't mean to be harsh, but I'd like you to qualify your statement.
Beth

I am not trying to say sigma is better then any other flash.
I will pull this shot, just let me know.
randy
12-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I, an army of one, don't want you to pull the shot. It's not a good shot from a story telling point of view; it's not a flattering shot to it's subjects and I speak as both father and someone who has shot highschool sports and activities for nearly 35 years. I've got plenty of equally bad shots! And you and your wife are now aware of that opinion.

IT IS a good demonstration of the power of the flash as well as the shortcomings of flash in general.

If someone researches both the Pentax 540 flash and the Sigma 500ef flash it's hard to see them as significantly different except for price. What I am interested in should be equally apparent: is there any other difference(s) between the units?

How does the EF work in the typical living room situation--say a kids party, or family just sitting around together? Frankly the 540 is overpowering. How well does the Sigma track exposure changes as you pan about a room of various luminance levels. It's incredibly easy to fool the AF/AE on the K series dSLR and the 540 is equally goofy in it's response. Does the EF work in similar tight lock-step in P-TTL and get fooled too? Can the EF be powered externally?

Randy, you're not a beginner here at PF. And your wife is clearly an experienced artist. Being wowed by new equipment is fine-it happens to me, but get over it and tell us something about the flash. Is it well built, well balanced, fast to recycle? Does it balance well on the camera? Come with a case?

I've already bought my 540, would the sigma be a better alternative for a cash poor student like Beth. She's a strong willed young woman and she joined here to get new ideas and opinions to counteract her more strongly willed and more opinionated father. We've been talking about this thread. She didn't join to bully other users into pulling their photos. Frankly, if you could give her information about your flash and experiences, enough say, to cause her to buy the Sigma, then I know she would get quite a kick out of stuffing that fact in my ear.
12-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I like the shot, it's a laugh! Not often you get to see that so it's unique. Always good to see a different perspective on something that may have otherwise been quite dull. I can't see a problem at all with the photo being taken from the rear, I bet if yoou showed it to the participants they would have a giggle over it.
12-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's a fun shot, Randy, a different perspective which shows the action well - limbs parallel with the floor, hair flying - a great feeling of vigour and movement. Well done.
12-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Can you give me a reason why the Sigma is better?
I don't know about better per se, but here the Sigma DG Super costs less than even the Penatx 360 model and yet the Sigma swivels both ways and is a lot more powerfull... If you want HS sync with a Pentax DSLR you only have 3 choices I know of, the 360fgz the 540fgz (very expensive) and the Sigma DG 500 Super...