Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Diptera Syrphidae
Lens: DA55-300 + reversed EL Nikkor Camera: K5 Photo Location: My attic ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Clavius, 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

This is a 114 image stack in Zerene of a tiny 'hoverfly'. Just to test out my new EL Nikkor 50mm.

I really need to figure out how to get rid of those halos / auras.

Anybody any idea? Sorry, I'm still a newbie at this.

Views: 1,946
08-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great capture !! that's up close and personal... the detail in those compound eyes is amazing.. dave m
08-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
great capture !! that's up close and personal... the detail in those compound eyes is amazing.. dave m
Thank you very much!

But it still isn't good enough.

Look at this guy:

This is obviously not my image. This capture is done by a guy named John Hallmen. I'm trying to reach this kind of quality, but I've got a long frustrating way to go.
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think your journey's that long!!
Nice shot!!

08-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

hey someone else has an el-nikkor 50mm! Which version do you have? What are you using for your steps? What aperture?

edit: Oh and John's the best there is, dont get to discouraged.
08-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
hey someone else has an el-nikkor 50mm! Which version do you have? What are you using for your steps? What aperture?
I've got the f4 version, with the strange 34,5mm filter thread. I saw it on ebay, selling peanuts, and before I realised it, it was on it's way. I should have taken a closer look. Well, it's way better then the reversed Ricoh Rikenon 50 f1.4 that I was using before.

I'm using a parker linear stage with 3cm trave. I really like this one, because I was able to mount it directly on my tripod, and my camera directly on the stage. Making it all a wobble-free contruction.

The aperture was 5.6, both in the EL Nikkor and my tube lens.

edit: Oh and John's the best there is, dont get to discouraged.
Yep, I've looked through his photostream lots of times. I notice him using the EL Nikkors too. ...And a bunch of other, 'more exotic' equipment.

So what about the halos and auras? Are they caused by light from my flashes nog being diffused enough? Or because of me not using a hood and light from my flashes is entering the lens?
08-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well theres multiple possibilities and the results are probably a combination of several

A couple notes:

1. the tube lens should always be wideopen, the reversed lens should be the one stopped down

2. A makeshift hood will dramatically help the image overall

3. the nikkor should work better with extension tubes/bellows than stacked with another lens

4. Your steps might be to large, try doing some tests on your own doing multiple stacks using different sized steps and decide which give the best results

5. Your lighting setup, what is it? It can use some TLC.

6. Get the 2.8 version if you can (the newer "N" version like I have), you should see a noticeable IQ improvement.

7. What was used to stack the images?

8. Where's the crops?

08-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well theres multiple possibilities and the results are probably a combination of several

A couple notes:

1. the tube lens should always be wideopen, the reversed lens should be the one stopped down
I Didn't realise that. Will do.

2. A makeshift hood will dramatically help the image overall
I just got confirmation that my m39 extension tube will be delivered today or tommorrow. I can screw it on the reversed lens to act as a hood.

3. the nikkor should work better with extension tubes/bellows than stacked with another lens
Less glass, better IQ? Or is there a different reason? I think I'll go multiple sets of cheap Chinese PK extension tubes. They'll be handier for handheld pictures.

5. Your lighting setup, what is it? It can use some TLC.
I used two Pentax AF160S flashes with diffuser socks on them. They were very close to my 'target'. What do you mean with 'TLC'?

7. What was used to stack the images?
Zerene, I tested Combinezm and helicon too, but Zerene is the best IMO.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep posting my future results.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-02-2011 at 02:23 AM.
08-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clavius.
Excellent results in anyone's language.
#2 is almost tactile in texture.
Well done.
08-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Clavius.
Excellent results in anyone's language.
Thank you very much for the compliment. But I have to

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Clavius.
#2 is almost tactile in texture.
Well done.
Sorry, as I stated before, the second isn't mine. I posted it to show what kind of quality I would very much like to reach... Some day...
08-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I Didn't realise that. Will do.

I just got confirmation that my m39 extension tube will be delivered today or tommorrow. I can screw it on the reversed lens to act as a hood.
Good

Less glass, better IQ? Or is there a different reason? I think I'll go multiple sets of cheap Chinese PK extension tubes. They'll be handier for handheld pictures.
Yes less glass generally means better IQ. I dont have the full scientific explanation on me right now (I can't seem to find the post) but some of the "greats" told me something along the lines that the lenses were designed differently etc. etc. so extension tubes + reversed = best

I used two Pentax AF160S flashes with diffuser socks on them. They were very close to my 'target'. What do you mean with 'TLC'?
TLC = time/love/care
It takes a long time to get a stable lighting setup so try many different setups and diffuser Ideas and eventually you will find something you like. Im probably on my 20th lighting setup and 100th diffuser idea currently

Zerene, I tested Combinezm and helicon too, but Zerene is the best IMO.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep posting my future results.
so you know how to retouch than? That should solve a lot of your stacking "errors" (i.e. halo's)
More pictures! And larger versions to view please

08-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I received 4 extension tube sets and two rings that will mount the EL Nikkor in reverse on the tube sets.

I also made a hood voor the lens, as said earlier.

I did 4 tests today. One with ALL four extension tube sets mounted, for the highest magnification. This resulted in a very unsharp image, that I do not dare post here. But strangely enough, this did not decrease when I removed extension. Even with just one set the very same unsharpness was there. Even when I did the pictures on F8 it didn't improve.

I should mount the EL Nikkor in reverse? Or should I only do that when using a tube lens?
08-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Stunning keep up the good work.