Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sultry Southern Scenes
Lens: DA 21 and DA 35L Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM

I've done very little shooting for some time in part owing to the appearance of August on the first of June (and that's saying something in Texas). Today - on my younger daughter's birthday and the 16th anniversary of our arrival in Texas - I sucked it up, girded my loins and sallied forth in early evening (95 F) to take some quasi-shadowy shots in nearby Dunbar park. I'm not sure how one conveys the idea of "damned hot" in a photograph, but here's my stab at it.

Jer

Looking for shade:

A spy's view of scorched earth:

A 100 yards or so beyond swampy-looking Oyster Creek lie several acres of very hot concrete supporting a large shopping center:

A place where rain has become a foreign concept:

Some sun-baked concrete:

Surrender - heading for air-conditioned space (with some cool jazz on Sirius) for the short drive home:

Views: 1,228
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely down Jer - that grass (or lack there of) sure looks like a heat wave. Wish we could have sent some of June's / July's rain down there. We have had 3 rain free days here and some decent weather (as he knocks on wood) - AC down there is like heat up here - it's not an option it's standard

AC, Sirus Radio and a couple cool ones once home sounds like a pretty good way to relieve the heat - stay cool bud
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice stroll Jer, really doesn't look that bad as I sit in my motorhome with both Ac's on having a cold brew. Fall is coming soon... right? That's right, we spent a couple of fall months in Texas and the heat and humidity made it miserable. Oh well, keep smiling, you might want to plan another trip to CA. Bob
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nicely down Jer - that grass (or lack there of) sure looks like a heat wave. Wish we could have sent some of June's / July's rain down there. We have had 3 rain free days here and some decent weather (as he knocks on wood) - AC down there is like heat up here - it's not an option it's standard

AC, Sirus Radio and a couple cool ones once home sounds like a pretty good way to relieve the heat - stay cool bud
Hey, thanks, Dave. And your prescription for relief was exactly the one I followed.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Nice stroll Jer, really doesn't look that bad as I sit in my motorhome with both Ac's on having a cold brew. Fall is coming soon... right? That's right, we spent a couple of fall months in Texas and the heat and humidity made it miserable. Oh well, keep smiling, you might want to plan another trip to CA. Bob
Maybe a permanent trip to California! What's tough this year is that got so hot so early. Normally, I don't feel this sort of weariness until late September. I detested the long winters in Michigan and Ohio, but I have to say they look pretty good right now!

Jer