Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Allen Gardens Toronto
Lens: Tammy 18-200 XR Di Camera: K20d Photo Location: Toronto ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: valleylad, 08-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Went to visit family a few weeks ago and decided to do a walk around inside the Allen gardens in the Old cabbage town area of Toronto. There were numerous tropical plants, trees and shrubs in a in a rather confined area in the main building but boy was there some beauty's. A feast for a garden photographer's eye. Enjoy!

Joe

Attached Images

Views: 2,877
08-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great pictures!

How did you manage to the get flower with the black background? Flash?
08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, I go in in the winter usually as an escape from the weather
different selection of plants at that point for flowering of course
makes me think i should wander by on the walk home one day
08-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Great pictures!

How did you manage to the get flower with the black background? Flash?

My work flow was scattered after the basics were done but no flash was used just ambient light. PP using strong contrast with curve adj and vignette added in Light rm first. Then combined with PP in Cs4 using Nik color FX plugin. Final tweaking between Cs4 and Light rm. The secret is to darken the borders using a vignette and brightening the center while maintaining the vignette shadow. Hope this helps.

Thanks for commenting.
Joe

08-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The last one is very impressive. Makes me feel like I'm inside that big flower.
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Nice, I go in in the winter usually as an escape from the weather
different selection of plants at that point for flowering of course
makes me think i should wander by on the walk home one day
Eddie, check it out, the crowds were non existent and the photo ops were amazing. Thanks for the comment.

Joe
08-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That last photo is rather disturbing. It makes me feel like I'm looking up close at some alien with a lot of teeth in the middle waiting to eat me or something.

Lovely photos, I'm going to have to go there. I like places where there is no restriction on photography and nobody looks at you like you're violating their privacy.
08-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
The last one is very impressive. Makes me feel like I'm inside that big flower.
Thanks for the comment miss_alexx. I wish I knew the names of these beautiful plants though.

08-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember lugging my 8 x10 through there looking for a subject when I was a Photo Arts student at Ryerson 45 years ago. Those things were heavy. My back still hurts. I miss the little black blanket thingy you used to put over your head to focus though. In bright sun I should still be carrying one of those for chimping.

Those are very nice pictures. (The wife tells me saying "nice" isn't a very strong compliment... so I've upped it to very nice.)
08-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I remember lugging my 8 x10 through there looking for a subject when I was a Photo Arts student at Ryerson 45 years ago. Those things were heavy. My back still hurts. I miss the little black blanket thingy you used to put over your head to focus though. In bright sun I should still be carrying one of those for chimping.

Those are very nice pictures. (The wife tells me saying "nice" isn't a very strong compliment... so I've upped it to very nice.)
Thanks normhead for the comments and memories. Your good wife is a "very nice" person as well for the positive upgrade in comment.

Cheers, Joe