Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pastel Filter Sunset
Lens: 43 ltd Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Pahrump, NV ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM

I have seen many of Charliezap's photos that use the in camera pastel filter so decided to give it a try in the outdoors. The sunset is quite beautiful on its own, but I thought the filter gave it an interesting effect. Do you like it or not?

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Harris; 08-05-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Views: 2,763
08-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting effect that seems to suit this shot. Well thought out Bob.
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's such a nice sunset shot, I am not sure I do like it, it looks a bit like rain comming down , can you post the orignal as well ?
08-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It's such a nice sunset shot, I am not sure I do like it, it looks a bit like rain coming down , can you post the original as well ?
Dave, I can't find the original, but this one is pretty close. I ran a series through the camera with many photos of the sun setting. The first one I posted is an abstract, using the in camera filter and I was just trying to show what can be done. The original is a much better photo I think.

Attached Images

08-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Interesting effect that seems to suit this shot. Well thought out Bob.
thanks EM, I could of cropped the photo to get more impact, but wanted to leave as much of the photo to see the full effect of the in-camera filter. I tried to get to an advantage point which showed the sky and city and then the foreground for evaluation purposes.
08-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think there's a famous Ansel Admas B&White that is very similar if not the same vista. We'll have to start calling you Ansel Harris. Ansel Adams didn't crop his either.
08-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi Bob-I saw the picture yesterday and didn't have time to get back to you .The bottom half of the shot loses some of the effect so I cropped it to see how it would look.Between the both of us fooling around(with filters that is) we should develop a good working knowledge of the filter library and its capabilities.You can filterize a shot and then keep adding filters to it.One filter that I'm going to try is the star burst especially with a night shot.If I keep this up I won't have time to take normal pictures.--charliezap

Attached Images

08-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think there's a famous Ansel Admas B&White that is very similar if not the same vista. We'll have to start calling you Ansel Harris. Ansel Adams didn't crop his either.
I have seen that one Norm, it even has the WalMart sign lit up just like my landscape shot
08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Bob-I saw the picture yesterday and didn't have time to get back to you .The bottom half of the shot loses some of the effect so I cropped it to see how it would look.Between the both of us fooling around(with filters that is) we should develop a good working knowledge of the filter library and its capabilities.You can filterize a shot and then keep adding filters to it.One filter that I'm going to try is the star burst especially with a night shot.If I keep this up I won't have time to take normal pictures.--charliezap
Charlie, what my wife says is that I took a nice sunset and turned it into an ugly painting like photo. Sometimes I just can't win.
It is fun though and it keeps me out of the bars at night.
08-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, what my wife says is that I took a nice sunset and turned it into an ugly painting like photo. Sometimes I just can't win.
It is fun though and it keeps me out of the bars at night.
One thing to remember Bob is that all shots don't take well to filters especially the good unaltered ones.I find that the ones that I'm going to delete do get a 2nd life in filter mode.--charliezap
08-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One thing to remember Bob is that all shots don't take well to filters especially the good unaltered ones.I find that the ones that I'm going to delete do get a 2nd life in filter mode.--charliezap
thanks Charlie, that gives a new life to 95% of my photos
08-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
another filter available is the "extract color" filter, that is fun to mess with. Here is an example of a eucalyptus tree.
Attached Images

08-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple more filter pics showing stars/pastel, water color and a dark photo of the shower door using pastel.
Attached Images

08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Good going Bob..A lot of K5 owners probably don't know every nook and cranny that the camera has to offer.We may not use these features in an everyday serious nature but at least we know where to find them to have fun with and maybe get that one shot that works well with the options.---charliezap
08-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good going Bob..A lot of K5 owners probably don't know every nook and cranny that the camera has to offer.We may not use these features in an everyday serious nature but at least we know where to find them to have fun with and maybe get that one shot that works well with the options.---charliezap
Thanks Charlie, I think all of the K models have the filter options. Researching and applying has really helped me become more familiar with the camera. Bob