Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few landscapes
Posted By: miguelslo, 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM

A few shots from these weeks, I look forward to any comments?

All handheld with 18-55mm KIT lens.

Shot from a moving bus:
1/180, f/8, 55 mm

Also from a moving bus:
1/180, f/6.7, 55 mm

The view from my house, before:
1/125, f/4.5, 43 mm

And after:
1/125, f/5.6, 43 mm

Views: 1,962
11-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

Love your images, especially the snow scene. It is always dificult to get snow scenes to appear as snow. You have done a good job. The, 4th photo with the blue-white cast beautifully depicts the weather and winter whiteness of white out!

With the first two shots, did you have unsettled weather? It appears to be a soft bright overcast light. And in the first, just enough for some shadows. Well done.

Is the long format some kind of panorama, or did you crop the photos?

JMR

JMR
11-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series - good contrast between seasons. The summer / fall ones are very crisp and clear and I like the winter ones as well.
11-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I like the first picture. The colours are bold and jump right off the page (screen).

The second shot seems to suffer from being a bit lack-luster; it could use a bit of a boost in colour saturation and contrast. The telephone cable across the middle is a bit distracting but not totally horrible. There is a lot of sky and it could benefit from a bit more definition.

The last two pictures are interesting but the white balance is way off. The blue cast gives it a cold feeling - exactly what you want - but it is too blue to seem realistic.

I hope you don't feel I am too harsh. All the pictures have potential but some just need a bit of post processing to make them more appealing in my humble opinion.

11-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice photos but I have to agree with Jeff, the last two need something done with the white balance.

Heinrich
11-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments, i appreciate it.

Too much blue you say? Very interesting, on my LCD the white balance looks perfect, but I printed the last picture and it was indeed printed with way too much blue.

I guess i will have to calibrate my LCD !
11-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

Yes, your snow photos have a slight blue cast, but most snow photos that are extremely overcast have a slight blue to gray cast. But from the point of view of a reasonably good composition that conveys mood and a scene, the photos are very successful.

As to the other shots, not all photos have to have punchy colours and I don't think that is the role of post processing. The second shot has a wonderful muted quality the conveys the pasture-like surroundings. The wires may be distracting, but not bad for a photo shot from the bus.

JMR

11-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Funny you should comment on the LCD...

I shoot a lot of studio work (my wife's jewelry) and I found that what looks perfectly white in the LCD is often times darker and grayer when I pull it up on the computer after download. I have taken to shooting from the laptop so I can correct exposure as I go. Of course, this would not work for shooting out and about.

The photos are nice, btw. The 3rd shot is very nice with the snow falling.
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Display, monitor, print reference

I read an article that addressed the issue of reference. The writer (can't remember his name unfortunately) said that you perform a basic test to create an accurate reference. First take a picture of a colour wheel. Then take a picture of a 10 step B&W test card (the type that go from black, through all the shades in between up to white). Make sure you bracket your shots. Make sure that both pictures are shot under the same conditions (placement, lighting, camera angle, etc). Then get the 6 photos printed at a printer you will plan to use as your main printing source. When you get the photo's back select the best photos. Tape the photo beside your monitor. Open the chosen photo up on your computer monitor and adjust the monitor so that is gets as close to the printed photo in colour, contrast, and brightness. The B&W photo will serve more as an additional brightness reference tool. Perform the similar operation with your camera and its display. I have done this and basically what I see is what I get. Of course the display on the camera is limited and the viewing angle to the camera display alters the look.
11-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by miguelslo Quote
Thank you all for your comments, i appreciate it.

Too much blue you say? Very interesting, on my LCD the white balance looks perfect, but I printed the last picture and it was indeed printed with way too much blue.

I guess i will have to calibrate my LCD !
Yeah - check out #4 after corrected. My version is not perfect but close.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-20-2007 at 03:22 AM.