Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Still playing with my------filters--K5--100mm wr
Lens: 100mm wr Camera: k5 Photo Location: Saugus ISO: 1600 
Posted By: charliezap, 08-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Bob H's wife is right when she said a good pic can be made less appealing when a "filter" is applied but on the flip side a so-so shot can take on a 2nd wind and goodness knows we all have a pile of those that no one ever sees.Here's a comparison.The flower shot I didn't want to mess with.--charliezap
Name:  009crp-1.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  70.6 KB
Name:  filtered-1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  117.8 KB
Name:  005-1z.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  207.5 KB

Views: 1,324
08-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Charlie, is this a contrast or posterization mode?
I wonder if most people are more of the "purist" type, where filter effects like this take away from the true image or the use of the filters are just too much trouble to use. I have seen several people post threads with the filters, and they certainly are interesting and draw attention. Bob
08-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, is this a contrast or posterization mode?
I wonder if most people are more of the "purist" type, where filter effects like this take away from the true image or the use of the filters are just too much trouble to use. I have seen several people post threads with the filters, and they certainly are interesting and draw attention. Bob
The 2nd shot is posteration which has 4 or 5 different looks in that particular filter.I chose one that I liked and hit it again with the pastel filter to get the final image.Another neat feature in camera is cropping.Bring up a shot--go to cropping--hit info--and there you can set the aspect ratio and one other neat feature when you're there is you can straighten a lopsided pic and "save as".The only thing this camera doesn't do is pour a glass of red for me.--charliezap
08-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, to me these 'filters' have limited useful application, but they can be fun (more so than being artistic or creative).

08-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yeah, to me these 'filters' have limited useful application, but they can be fun (more so than being artistic or creative).
They are there and once in a while just like playing slots you can come up with a winner pic that can be transformed into something different that is better than the original.The camera is new to me and I went through every aspect of the menue to see what hidden features and applications are there to be used that may otherwise go unutilized.--charliezap
08-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Charlie, I really like the effect Matt got on this thread using filters, take a look. Bob
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/154236-landscape-sodium-...landscape.html
08-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Charlie, I really like the effect Matt got on this thread using filters, take a look. Bob
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/154236-landscape-sodium-...landscape.html
I took a look Bob and Matt found a filter that he liked for his shots.Good for him.That's what it's all about.Find a pic--have fun and play with it.I found a sub menu for filters and its title is "enlargement protocol"I'm going to set the camera on 10sec. delay and take some nude shots of myself and use the filter and post the shots. I may have to give the filter 3 or more enhancements before I like what I see.--charliezap
08-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I took a look Bob and Matt found a filter that he liked for his shots.Good for him.That's what it's all about.Find a pic--have fun and play with it.I found a sub menu for filters and its title is "enlargement protocol"I'm going to set the camera on 10sec. delay and take some nude shots of myself and use the filter and post the shots. I may have to give the filter 3 or more enhancements before I like what I see.--charliezap
that filter is filed right between "figment of your imagination" and "fiction". Like you said, "have fun".

08-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
that filter is filed right between "figment of your imagination" and "fiction". Like you said, "have fun".
I think Bob that It may be wishful thinking but the story line would have been a good episode for "Outer Limits" -" Twilight Zone" or "Fantasy Island"--charliezap
08-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not Filters are just another fun way to look at life - I have yet to play with any of them put plan to.
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Why not Filters are just another fun way to look at life - I have yet to play with any of them put plan to.
A quick way Dave to access filters and other editing options without going thru the menu is to bring up any shot in the camera and then hit the flash symbol just below the ok button and presto a screen opens up with all kinds of options including cropping--straightening-filters--etc.--charliezap
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A quick way Dave to access filters and other editing options without going thru the menu is to bring up any shot in the camera and then hit the flash symbol just below the ok button and presto a screen opens up with all kinds of options including cropping--straightening-filters--etc.--charliezap
Thanks I'll check'em out.
08-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These in-camera (?) filters look like fun, indeed. Since I've never shot JPEG, I didn't know the things existed, until the Capn started experimenting with them. Nice job, Capn.

Jer
08-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These in-camera (?) filters look like fun, indeed. Since I've never shot JPEG, I didn't know the things existed, until the Capn started experimenting with them. Nice job, Capn.

Jer
Jer--a new camera is like a new women.You push the buttons and see what happens.capn zap