Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Icy Waters
Posted By: SCGushue, 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM

Todays photo hike.

I was cold but beautiful, though the climb through the gorges were slick with ice.

The bottom two images are quick panorama images.

Stephen

Attached Images

Views: 1,954
11-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Very nice pictures. It's 30 degrees celcius here every day of the year so to see some pics from colder climates is nice. I like the dynamic range, very well done. By the way it's about 36 degrees here today, hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk, lol.

Tim H
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

i was actually going to pick a couple and mutter * like em*, But after looking at all them again i like them all...lol.... can i ask what shutterspeed, lens's was used etc?. if you can't remember then thats cool
11-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stephen,

I've never tried to hide it. I'm just not fond of long exposures when it comes to water scenes like that.

However whatever you do with them is incredible.
Nice job, keep it up.

11-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the last 3 are fantastic.. very nice indeed..

Last edited by distorted_vision; 11-26-2007 at 04:05 AM.
11-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, Stephen. These images are breath taking! Love the last 2 shots the most
11-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice variation on the theme, Stephen.

I don't particularly like the first one. It doesn't say anything and if it wasn't for the ice I would have thought it needed rotating.

11-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shots Stephen - I love the first one - that water looks about 2 degrees Celcius !(or just above freezing ) The waterfall shots are stunning as well. Well done.
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Stephen,

I've never tried to hide it. I'm just not fond of long exposures when it comes to water scenes like that.

However whatever you do with them is incredible.
Nice job, keep it up.
Thanks Stu, I'm glad to have your positive feedback. I have found landscape imaging, which is very new to me, to be far more difficult to do than I thought. Every trip out is another couple of pages of notes on what works and what doesn't work. Eventually the book will fill up with a treasure trove of things done right. I hope

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Nice variation on the theme, Stephen.

I don't particularly like the first one. It doesn't say anything and if it wasn't for the ice I would have thought it needed rotating.
JC, one thing that I have learned is that everyone has different tastes. The first shot was not one that I would have thought to take normally. But I knew there would be no sunlight another mile up the trail where the waterfalls began... there never is! And I hate to break out the gear for a setup only to have to reassemble it and trudge on. But the little icicles were backlit and looked like crystal bats roosting under the fallen hemlock (3 feet in diameter). So I chose a shutterspeed to give texture to the creek and that it was the source of the "bat crystals". Personally, my favorite of the shots here is the second one. None-the-less, I am doing a two year photo essay on this area for commercial reasons and sometimes you have to step outside the big shots of the waterfalls to show some of the beauty in the often overlooked macro thingy's .

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great shots Stephen - I love the first one - that water looks about 2 degrees Celcius !(or just above freezing ) The waterfall shots are stunning as well. Well done.
Dave, in the lowlands where the sun manages to get it was about that temp. In the gorges higher up the waters mists were freezing on the rocks as the evening wore on. Thanks for the comments on the waterfall images... just have to work at CC'ing them now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
Very nice pictures. It's 30 degrees celcius here every day of the year so to see some pics from colder climates is nice. I like the dynamic range, very well done. By the way it's about 36 degrees here today, hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk, lol.

Well, it was about -1 Celsius in the gorges yesterday. Little to no sunlight once you reach the falls. As you can see in the last shot all that "snow" dotting the rocks is frozen mist from the waterfall condensing out on cold rocks. I took a bad slip on the ice there on the way back down the mountain. Thanks goodness I had the K10D to break my fall

Tim H[/QUOTE]

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazy_B Quote
i was actually going to pick a couple and mutter * like em*, But after looking at all them again i like them all...lol.... can i ask what shutterspeed, lens's was used etc?. if you can't remember then thats cool
Lazy_B... thanks. I usually don't have a fixed determination of shutterspeeds. Each fall has it's own qualities and will look differently when photographed at varying shutterspeeds. For a waterfall in general the shutter speed shoud be at least 1 second for each 32 feet of drop to get silky water. Anywhere beyond a 1/4 second will soften the molten glass like appearance of moving water. Most of these waterfalls were in the 1-3 second range.

Stephen
11-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
the last 3 are fantastic.. very nice indeed..
DV,

Thanks... I still have to go back to the originals and do some color correcting but these do , hopefully, show some of the beauty in this part of Pennsylvania.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, Stephen. These images are breath taking! Love the last 2 shots the most
James,

Great to hear from you. Thanks for commenting and providing positive feedback. You will be glad to know that I took some with the 16-50 that came out fine too. Seems like you are liking that lens yourself from the tidbits I am finding on the forum.

Stephen