Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightbox Upgrade (3 Images)
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 11-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Well some of you may remember not too long ago I made a lightbox after reading an article from the Strobist. Will this weekend I decided to make an upgrade to that original design. (I see a stage 3 in the near future)

I decided to replace the tracing paper panels that were originally installed with something a bit more rigid to make the whole thing more stable. I was thinking frosted glass, but all I saw for that was to buy in bulk, and glass is kinda not safe. Then I thought of getting plexiglass and then frosting them with either the spray or the stick on stuff but that seemed like more work than I wanted to invest. Then it came to me, lighting panels! The kinda that they install over floureschent lights in kitchens and what not.

That seemed like the strobist thing to do, my only concern was will the crazy patterns they make them with cause any stange shadows, but hey live and learn right. So off to the hardware store I go!

And the results...

A good look at the installed panels. A heck of a lot more stable with them on and the handy duct tape.

Some of my models for tonights test. Notice the piece of black marble they are standing on. Another Strobist idea as oposed to using a mirror to get a reflection.

A test pic with one of my models, I give you Naruto Uzumaki! I am still a kid at heart. (No PP done) I shot this one with my VIV S1 70-210 at ISO800 f/8. If I did somehow corrupt the image on my SD I could tell you all of the settings, cuz I would like to know them myself.

This shot was really hard to get mainly because my tripod is worthless when holding all that gear. The focus was on the frogs nose, not quite what I wanted. For just being a test shot it really wasn't worth my time to try and man-handle the thing into cooperating. I shall be making a purchase real soon, I guarantee you that! But I am very happy with the results. I like the reflection that I got a lot and there were no crazy shadows cast on the model. All in all, very happy.

Views: 1,471
11-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very nice Buddha,

I was thinking of making one of those things this week some time, and you've helped with my ideas
11-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

DIY - way to go

Who said that you have to break the bank everytime you create a solution. Nice post to help other out Budda Jones. I made a similar unit last year. The only difference is that I painted the cardboard box with several coats of fiberglass resin to stiffen it up and make it durable. Next I painted it flat white. I glued in some white sign plexi (you can pick it up cheap / free from any sign shop, it is available in different thickness, generally small sizes like the dimensions we requir are waste / scrap to sign companies).

Spyglass

Budda would you buy a Manfrotto tripod already?!? (get one that lets you use the column in either the vertical position (camera up / camera down) and well as horizontal.
11-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys. DIY is def the way to go, fun and cheap.

Spyglass - I really really want to get the tripod, but with Christmas right around the corner... we'll see what I can pull off.

11-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, Naruto never looked so good! I love the reflection and now I know what to add this winter season to my list of things to keep in sane list. Great stuff Buddha!
11-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account

This looks like fun Buddha, great post! I've done a series of shots over the summer of gold rings I've found and used a square opaque white ice-cream bucket as a light box. It worked pretty well but I just may try building something like you have now.....