Posted By: rntwinters, 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Family road trip to Yellowstone National Park

Attached Images

Views: 1,180
08-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you must have been the other Pentax shooter that was there that week. The locals kept saying, "... we don't see too many a yer kind round these parts."
08-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
LOL... I have to say you don't see many Pentax users out there, tons of Canon and Nikon cameras though. Maybe we're smarter than the average bear?
08-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a lot less interest in brand worship on my trip. Invariably I had some interest when I would see a photographer getting a shot I wanted or I would see a flash of red and black on a neck strap. And of course it was obvious that I saw less Pentax but I was also seeing less other guys. I was viewing situations like, "I'm gonna stand here until that guy with his camera is finished and then that is the scene I'll capture." I had a few situations of tripod lust but less sort of insecurities about us and them.

A first for me, though, I did see a woman walking around with a big iPad taking her pictures. Very curious. Like holding an 8x10 live view at arm's length to take pictures.

08-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I agree, there were far more interesting things to see than other cameras and straps, over 700 pics on my 8gb card. I was really only noting lenses that others had (thinking to myself "i want one of those") I was also kicking myself for leaving my tripod at home in the closet, I realized it when we were on the road, so my shots are all hand held. With a tripod I could play with shutter speeds a little more and perhaps stand around longer waiting for that other photographer to get out of the frame.
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I was along the roadside watching and photographing a moose, which of course soon drew a small crowd, I did notice a Pentax around the neck of a guy close to me. He might have noticed my neckstrap or liked the cover I was using when he stepped to stand beside me. He was from New York and had just bought a used K20 with the 18-55 and 50-200.
As we were leaving one of the geyser basins, a tour bus had unloaded two dozen or so Asians. The Pentax count increased dramatically to at least four at that moment in that area.

We stayed four nights in the Bridge Bay campground. One morning I was awoken early and when I exited our tent, I saw five elk walking through the campground.
08-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When I was in Yellowstone in mid June as I think I posted before, I actually saw more Pentaxs than I thought I would and on a couple occasions the Pentax name outnumbered Canon and Nikon combined (small number of people at one time and we counted as two but should have been three as I also had a film one).

But if you think that shooting a Pentax makes you rare trying shooting either a 45 or a Hasselblad 500. Or either of those along side a pentax. I did find Yellowstone tripod country in some aspects and was glad I went when the weather was cool (cold) and before the summer.