Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Cars
Lens: DA 15 and 40 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Palo Alto, CA ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM

I'm currently about three months into one of my periodic lapses of photographic zeal, so about 90% of the shots I've taken since mid May were over the three days we visited our daughter and son-in-law in Palo Alto in late June - during which I had a ball shooting fantastic automobiles at the city's annual Concours D'elegance. I've already posted (too many) photos from the event (I love cars), but in order to continue to be active on this section of the forum with no recent shots to contribute, I'll post three more - these are the last, I promise!

Jer

Here's an American Motors AMX - basically a cut-down Javelin with only two seats. I don't know much about AMC performance cars (indeed, the concept seems oxymoronic), but I think these had a 390 C.I. mill. I doubt that I've seen a half a dozen of these cars in my life:

I'm sure I've seen a Lotus Europa in the past, but this is the first I can recall gazing upon in the flesh:

Mafia row - a bunch of hoods. I coveted a Datsun 240Z (along with a number of other sports cars) in my grad school days, and I could probably have come up with the tariff by pinching pennies (we are pay cash or do without types), but we simply needed a car with at least a semblance of a back seat. Anyway, it was fun to look at some pristine examples of a car that I loved back in the day:

Views: 2,525
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cool pipes on the AMX and it actually did very well in trans-am racing. The Z's were sure popular weren't they. Great shots. Bob
08-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for these, Jer. You can't have too many car photos like these in my opinion. I remember when the Europa first came out. I was a fan of the Elan and thought Lotus had lost their mind, particularly using a Renault engine. Then I got taken for a drive in one and realised that you didn't really need much of an engine since you hardly had to slow down to go round corners

Richard.
08-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I love getting nostalgic when it comes to wheels.When I was dating my wife back in 1964 she had a 2door Corvair 4sp Monza (red) and I had my 1959 Olds Super 88 convertible --white -black top.To this day that car threads its way into my dreams but like all dreams it starts out well then the car turns into a box with wheels or some other abomination that doesn't work.Freud would have a ball with me.--capn zap

08-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent as stated you can never post enough car shots. I love the Javlin. I covet these cars , but never owned anything of note. Dad had a '69 GTO , 429 Cobra Jet with a hurst stick shift when I was 15 (he use to fix cars and then sell'em) which I thought would be mine at 16 when I got my license. (my first car was a '63 Pontiac Laurentian - the big boat , 3 in the tree , 4 body trunck haha)

Smart man that Dad - doubt I would typing this today if he had gave me that car
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice post Jer, never too many cars, love the first one. (Many, many moons ago I spent 15 years at AMC.) Thanks for posting them.
08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
cool pipes on the AMX and it actually did very well in trans-am racing. The Z's were sure popular weren't they. Great shots. Bob
Thanks Bob - I'd completely forgotten the AMX in Trans-Am - guess I'm getting old.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Thanks for these, Jer. You can't have too many car photos like these in my opinion. I remember when the Europa first came out. I was a fan of the Elan and thought Lotus had lost their mind, particularly using a Renault engine. Then I got taken for a drive in one and realised that you didn't really need much of an engine since you hardly had to slow down to go round corners

Richard.
Hey, thanks, buddy. I've never driven or even been in a Lotus, but I'd sure like to. Before buying my Boxster a (very) briefly considered an Elise, but decided it was more for a young guy like you rather than old geezer like me!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I love getting nostalgic when it comes to wheels.When I was dating my wife back in 1964 she had a 2door Corvair 4sp Monza (red) and I had my 1959 Olds Super 88 convertible --white -black top.To this day that car threads its way into my dreams but like all dreams it starts out well then the car turns into a box with wheels or some other abomination that doesn't work.Freud would have a ball with me.--capn zap
Boy, I'd like to ride in that Super 88 today, Capn. After I took my Mustang to college, my Dad bought a red, 4-spd Monza in '66 (used) as a runabout, so I know well your wife's car.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Excellent as stated you can never post enough car shots. I love the Javlin. I covet these cars , but never owned anything of note. Dad had a '69 GTO , 429 Cobra Jet with a hurst stick shift when I was 15 (he use to fix cars and then sell'em) which I thought would be mine at 16 when I got my license. (my first car was a '63 Pontiac Laurentian - the big boat , 3 in the tree , 4 body trunck haha)

Smart man that Dad - doubt I would typing this today if he had gave me that car
Hey Dave - I knew your old man had to be smart to produce such a smart son! You know, I don't remember a Pontiac model called Laurentian - was that nameplate used only in Canada?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice post Jer, never too many cars, love the first one. (Many, many moons ago I spent 15 years at AMC.) Thanks for posting them.
I appreciate it, Heinrich. I didn't know you were a veteran of AMC - they had some tough competition from the big boys but hung in there a long time with some pretty interesting product.

Jer

08-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #8

High quality, as always.First car, never seen in my life. Interesting concept. Lotus, a very strange line, has strong spirit of the early late sixties and early seventies ... I had a Datsun 240 toy as a child
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jer - it was a big as a boat - 289 , 3 in the tree, 90mph top speed down hill with the wind at your back - bulit like a tank though - here's a shot of one mine was 'Drab Grey' - not sure if that was a Canadian model only. Grandpa sold it to me when I was a senior in high school so I loved it (AM radio included and I put in a 8 track )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pict1.0  Photo 
08-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Sailor. Gotta say that Lotus is one butt ugly car, especially in that color. I once tried to get into one (I'm 6'5" and devilishly handsome), but I couldn't get my legs tucked in and sit up straight.
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer - it was a big as a boat - 289 , 3 in the tree, 90mph top speed down hill with the wind at your back - bulit like a tank though - here's a shot of one mine was 'Drab Grey' - not sure if that was a Canadian model only. Grandpa sold it to me when I was a senior in high school so I loved it (AM radio included and I put in a 8 track )
Hey Dave - aside from some possible trim differences, I think your hot rod would have been called a Catalina in the U.S. Anyway - a great car for a high school dude back in the day.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Nice shots, Sailor. Gotta say that Lotus is one butt ugly car, especially in that color. I once tried to get into one (I'm 6'5" and devilishly handsome), but I couldn't get my legs tucked in and sit up straight.
Thanks, Tom. Yeah, the Europa's look is an acquired taste - and the color is only something the Brits (Lord love 'em) would paint on a car. BTW, although short, I'm also afflicted with a devilishly handsome visage - which may account for my difficulty in entering some vehicles (also could be arthritis at my age). As long as I can still get in my Boxster, I'm happy .

Jer
08-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, thanks, buddy. I've never driven or even been in a Lotus, but I'd sure like to. Before buying my Boxster a (very) briefly considered an Elise, but decided it was more for a young guy like you rather than old geezer like me!

Jer
Young is relative, Jer. I'm probably a couple of years younger than you

The wildest Lotus I had a ride in was an Elan with a very highly modified engine from Ian Walker racing in London - a road car with one of these engines 1964 - 1966 Lotus Elan 26R - Images, Specifications and Information

My cousin had a Lotus Cortina with the same engine and that was good for 140mph.

Richard.
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #13

Love 'em all, especially the 240's. I've never been one for Asian Iron, but the 240Z's are the school of cool!
08-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #14

Cool - it looks suspiciously similar in many respects to the Bonneville I saw and photographed last week!
08-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love these shots jer... that amx was amc's answer to the muscle car race.... not to take for granted... had some real grunt to it..... dave m