Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trying out the K5 infra red filter.
Lens: Pentax 18-250 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Saugus Ma ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: charliezap, 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM

NowhereMatt put the bee in my bonnet and I had to try the IR filter effect with my K5.I like how it processed the shot and with the right subject matter as Matt has done a fine job with I'm sure that I will be using it again.I think that some seascapes with boats-water and clouds might be interesting.--charliezap

Attached Images

Views: 3,718
08-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Charlie, I do like this filter, but prefer the color version in this case, so lush and green. Too bad the filter can't be used while taking photos, instead of in-camera editing afterward. Bob
08-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's certainly given a different rendition to the original image, but I'd be interested to see how it differs from a true IR filter result.
The colour is good, but the IR-look could be better (if the overexposure of the grass were somewhat toned down).
08-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like it. Very good subject for IR photography. Slight clouds, foliage and buildings.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'd be interested to see how it differs from a true IR filter result.
It may not differ too much, except the noise. If you take a look at this graph:

I suspect, that knowing the exact curves of camera filters (including the IR High-Pass filter and sensor), one can calculate either RGB value or approximate IR value. The difference would be in the part where you have to work with very small (and noisy) values in R and G channels.
Still you cant know, if the house wouldn't be white in IR (many BROWN-ish things are), just the exposure is too short to accumulate this information in G&B channels, which are most likely plain black.

08-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the IR and yeah some water , trees and clouds sounds like a plan.
08-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
NowhereMatt put the bee in my bonnet and I had to try the IR filter effect with my K5.I like how it processed the shot and with the right subject matter as Matt has done a fine job with I'm sure that I will be using it again.I think that some seascapes with boats-water and clouds might be interesting.--charliezap
I think sky and clouds are subjected to the most interesting treatment using the in camera effect.
Sure, many around the forum have played with the filter. And still others scoff at the "faux infrared" properties. But as demonstrated in this photo, it really adds interest to an otherwise less interesting scene.
If I want dramatic sky and clouds in my monochrome images, more often than not, I switch to the IR digital filter.
And I often purposely over expose a scene with sky and clouds a bit to increase the contrast in those elements. As a result, highlights are usually blown out in other parts of the scene. I just try to compose to minimize such distractions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, I do like this filter, but prefer the color version in this case, so lush and green. Too bad the filter can't be used while taking photos, instead of in-camera editing afterward. Bob
Maybe I misunderstand your approach. Are you suggesting that the effect cannot be applied as you take the picture? This is not the case with the K-7. It is set like any other digital filter and can be applied either before or after the image is captured. You can add the effect and shoot all day in "infrared" without having to go back and add the effects either using the camera or other software. Is this not the case with the K-5?

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 08-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.
08-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I think sky and clouds are subjected to the most interesting treatment using the in camera effect.
Sure, many around the forum have played with the filter. And still others scoff at the "faux infrared" properties. But as demonstrated in this photo, it really adds interest to an otherwise less interesting scene.
If I want dramatic sky and clouds in my monochrome images, more often than not, I switch to the IR digital filter.
And I often purposely over expose a scene with sky and clouds a bit to increase the contrast in those elements. As a result, highlights are usually blown out in other parts of the scene. I just try to compose to minimize such distractions.

Maybe I misunderstand your approach. Are you suggesting that the effect cannot be applied as you take the picture? This is not the case with the K-7. It is set like any other digital filter and can be applied either before or after the image is captured. You can add the effect and shoot all day in "infrared" without having to go back and add the effects either using the camera or other software. Is this not the case with the K-5?
I'm at work now and I brought up the manual on line and in Setting Custom Image----bright--natural--landscape--etc---monochrome with IR is one of the options so that means that you can shoot in that mode without going thru the digital filter after each shot.Later today I'll try it and I would assume that the effect would be the same.---charliezap

08-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool effect, Capn. Since I'm a RAW dude, maybe I can find an IR "fix" in some of my PP software - I confess, I've never looked.

Jer
08-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Matt, I found what you are talking about. When I go to custom setting and go to b/w, monochrome comes up and you select filter effect and from there you can select IR. Thanks to you and Charlie for pointing this out, it will be easier to shoot that way instead of in camera editing. Bob
08-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #10

Wow, the photo looks really good. I have never paid attention to the digital pictures as I prefer RAW, but where can I find it in the camera?
08-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hopka Quote
Wow, the photo looks really good. I have never paid attention to the digital pictures as I prefer RAW, but where can I find it in the camera?
If your camera has digital filters you may find it there or you can find it in the custom setting area of your camera.Hope this helps.--charliezap
08-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #12

Yeah, thanks. I found it in the "color menu" under monochrome.
08-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hopka Quote
Yeah, thanks. I found it in the "color menu" under monochrome.
Hope that you experiment and post some shots from the "filter section" of your camera.--charliezap