Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Panorama picture--I cheated
Camera: P&S??? Photo Location: Moosehead lake-Maine 
Posted By: charliezap, 08-12-2011, 10:58 AM

A coworker here at GE took seven pictures at Moosehead lake in Maine and wanted to have a panorama made.I don't have a program to do it and I did some searching for him and came across a blog that said that one can be made in Picasa by bringing the pics up in the collage tray and laying them together as best possible and going from there.I gave it a try for him and after Picasa did its thing I used PSP 8 to smooth out the seams(cloning) and then cropping to get the final image.Nothing fancy here but he was happy and Ritz Camera made a 36" lg print for him that wasn't half bad for $20.His pics from the P&S camera were about 800kb to work with which was ok and he didn't use a tripod.He just winged it an overlapped each shot.--charliezap

Name:  panorama-zap2.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  straighten.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  27.3 KB

Views: 2,299
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good result; I'd say your co-worker owes you lunch!
08-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Charlie, that turned out pretty good, I am learning all kinds of things from you, just wait until you retire you will be experimenting with all kinds of stuff. Think what you can do then. Bob
08-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks cool.. Autostitch often gives good results and costs nothing, just in case your colleague makes a habit of asking you for panoramas.

08-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done did not know Picasa offered that - I do a lot of hand held pano's thank gawd the software is smart (PS CS4). And I think Lunch is fair maket value for those services if it also includes a couple of beverages

Can you fix cars ? My son's car is stalling intermittently - not even daily or weekly - we have tried .......... ahhhhhh you're too far away thanks though
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A good result; I'd say your co-worker owes you lunch!
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Hey Charlie, that turned out pretty good, I am learning all kinds of things from you, just wait until you retire you will be experimenting with all kinds of stuff. Think what you can do then. Bob
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Looks cool.. Autostitch often gives good results and costs nothing, just in case your colleague makes a habit of asking you for panoramas.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done did not know Picasa offered that - I do a lot of hand held pano's thank gawd the software is smart (PS CS4). And I think Lunch is fair maket value for those services if it also includes a couple of beverages

Can you fix cars ? My son's car is stalling intermittently - not even daily or weekly - we have tried .......... ahhhhhh you're too far away thanks though
Thanks everyone especially TimH for the tip about autostitch.Dave--Picasa doesn't do panoramas but by using the collage feature you can do it by placing the images side by side without borders ---save the collage--then clean it up in any PP
program.One of my future projects is to take 4-5 shots on the bridge overlooking US RTE 1 probably with the 100mm wr and then put them together.--charliezap
08-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Tim I tried out auto stitch and it works quite well and easy.The only part that I don't like is that the final size is only around 60-70kb.After tweaking in PSP the kb size is 250kb or so but falls apart quickly when magnified.I know that it is a free program so is the small file size normal?--charliezap

Attached Images

08-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ah, yeah - you'll want to set the output size to something other the other the default, maybe use a 'scale' of 70-90% or a much bigger pixel width - it'll take much longer to process but the result is more useful.

Looking at the other options, you might also want to turn off 'auto crop' (then you can straighten the horizon yourself and crop as you like) and increase jpeg quality to 90+.
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, yeah - you'll want to set the output size to something other the other the default, maybe use a 'scale' of 70-90% or a much bigger pixel width - it'll take much longer to process but the result is more useful.

Looking at the other options, you might also want to turn off 'auto crop' (then you can straighten the horizon yourself and crop as you like) and increase jpeg quality to 90+.
What a difference Tim.I used 100% to see what happens and the pic came out at 23mb.After a straighten job and crop it finalized at 17mb.WOW.I think that I'm on the right track now.--charliezap[IMG][/IMG]
08-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Glad to be of service!
08-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Glad to be of service!
I just got home from work and took 3 shots with my k5 to make a pano.I should have them posted in a new thread in a short time.--charliezap
08-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a lot of software that will stitch, however for free and easy you can also try Microsoft ICE...

08-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charlie, that was too easy. Here is a 4 photo shot of passing clouds near sunset, thought that might be a little different.
Attached Images

08-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, that was too easy. Here is a 4 photo shot of passing clouds near sunset, thought that might be a little different.
Nice going Bob.What did you use to stitch them together?--charliezap