Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept...
Lens: Holga 60mm F8 for Pentax Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Wageningen, NL ISO: 3200 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Rense, 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM

... according to Henri Cartier-Bresson, who is called the most bourgeois photographer ever by some. Probably this quote dominated the minds of the developersfrom the Peoples Republic of China who made the Holga camera and lens. Probably afraid to be shot if they would have the guts to develop a bourgeois sharp camera. At least that is not what the Holga 60mm F8 is, bourgeois. 12 Euros, plastic through and through (even the glass ), and sharp: like a wooden door, my father would say...

So, here are my first proletarian photos, made in the streets (where else?), with the Holga 60mm F8 for Pentax.

Last edited by Rense; 08-13-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Views: 3,012
08-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#2 and #3 are hilarious, and you've certainly nailed the anti-bourgeois anti-sharpness. I think these could use more vignetting, though.
08-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I love the first two, the colors in them make them brilliant! There is a place for sharp...but clearly there is a place for not so sharp, and these are perfect examples. I could view a lot more like these...with pleasure!
Regards!
08-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
#2 and #3 are hilarious, and you've certainly nailed the anti-bourgeois anti-sharpness. I think these could use more vignetting, though.
Thanks! The anti-sharpness is nailed by the lens, you mean... And the vignetting? This is what the lens does, probably I should add more, but for now I wanted to show the character of the lens... Thanks for commenting and looking again!

08-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I love the first two, the colors in them make them brilliant! There is a place for sharp...but clearly there is a place for not so sharp, and these are perfect examples. I could view a lot more like these...with pleasure!
Regards!
Thanks Rupert! I will post more as soon as I have more... This lens could easily become one of my favourites....
08-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was kidding about the vignetting -- I can't imagine more! It's perfect for #2 -- isolates the subject beautifully.
08-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rense - love the humor in your post, but cracking up at the facial expression you've caught of the little girl and "Too cool for school" - money shot!!!

I see your ISO is 4000, lol Bright lens, huh? 3200 is about all I can squeeze out of K20D, so that is where it stays most of the time...

Regards,
D

P.S. Super Wide $10 adapter - actually seem to make the lens even more fun to use on the street

08-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Rense - love the humor in your post, but cracking up at the facial expression you've caught of the little girl and "Too cool for school" - money shot!!!

I see your ISO is 4000, lol Bright lens, huh? 3200 is about all I can squeeze out of K20D, so that is where it stays most of the time...

Regards,
D

P.S. Super Wide $10 adapter - actually seem to make the lens even more fun to use on the street
Thanks Dmitri! I've read somewhere that the 'F8' in fact is F11, or even F13.... And I bought me the Super Wide and the Fish-eye adapters.... Thanks for the suggestion!
08-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rense - I would love to see some photos with fish eye, when you take it for a walk! Read somewhere as well, that Fisheye is more of a "wide angle" rather than the true fish eye... Next purchase

Regards,
D
08-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Rense - I would love to see some photos with fish eye, when you take it for a walk! Read somewhere as well, that Fisheye is more of a "wide angle" rather than the true fish eye... Next purchase

Regards,
D

I will show them as soon as my fish-eye arrives.... cost me a fortune.... 18 Euros....
08-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The middle two are really good! I have to say though, I'm not sure these shots would actually be harmed by being sharp! You've got me thinking though... IQ is obviously irrelevant for some sorts of shots. I need to be using my phone camera more, and my DSLR less!
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
The middle two are really good! I have to say though, I'm not sure these shots would actually be harmed by being sharp! You've got me thinking though... IQ is obviously irrelevant for some sorts of shots. I need to be using my phone camera more, and my DSLR less!
Thanks!
08-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What strikes me is how little the optical shortcomings of the gear detracts from the impact of the images when looked at directly with no preconceptions about how they "should" look. They remind me, in quality, of some of Eugene Atget's work from a century earlier.

Bresson more or less got it right if you qualify it with sometimes sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

Having said that was the vignetting really that bad or was it enhanced with PP?

Last edited by wildman; 08-15-2011 at 11:56 AM.
08-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Thanks Dmitri! I've read somewhere that the 'F8' in fact is F11, or even F13.... And I bought me the Super Wide and the Fish-eye adapters.... Thanks for the suggestion!
It is more f 11 for certain (at least on my holga cameras they all fall around there. the little switch that is supposed to change the aperture on them really seems to be a placebo
great series rense. #2 and 3 particularly
that was my tag line for a long time too btw

I looked at the kitchen sink kit online and thought i could shoot my whole vacation with that
08-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It is more f 11 for certain (at least on my holga cameras they all fall around there. the little switch that is supposed to change the aperture on them really seems to be a placebo
great series rense. #2 and 3 particularly
that was my tag line for a long time too btw

I looked at the kitchen sink kit online and thought i could shoot my whole vacation with that
Thanks Eddie! I've read somerwhere that the older version Holgas have a fixed aperture at f/11 or something, and that the larger hole which is coupled with the aperture switch is BEHIND the fixed hole.....