Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Good news--bad news-my panorama photo
Lens: 55-300mm pentax Camera: k5 Photo Location: Rte 1 ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: charliezap, 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
The good news is Staples printed out for me a 10" x 57" picture of the above shot and it came out razor sharp and I was very pleased with it.The bad news is
several drops of water got on the print and it dissolved the ink and now there are white spots on the print.I got really bummed out and tested an old 8x10 glossy photo that I had printed out and put a couple of drops in the corner and nothing happened.So what happened? Staples uses an HP printer for Panos and maybe the ink is not colorfast.I'm going there tonight after work to get some answers.Does anyone have an answer for me before I do battle.The print was only $30 and I really liked it but if it's not moisture tolerant I will have 2nd thoughts about having another one done in the future.---charliezap
Views: 2,434
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear that Charlie, I know you were excited about this
likely the paper type combined with the ink type affected color fastness (there is a spray you could use that would protect it if you print again) $30 is damn cheap for this size though. anything printed on a high end printer and archival photo paper would have cost a bomb. a standard giclee 24x36 on hannamuhle fine art paper ranges from 75-130 depending on the paper locally. a 40x50 canvas wrap is $350 - these are pro shop prices. and i would expect panorama to cost even more as it's specialized setup for them.

there is an online company doing higher quality pano prints that looks pretty reasonable

Panorama Source Print Service - Panorama printing services and exclusive source of panoramic images

56" wide from $67-105
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also sorry to hear this. The answer to your question is most consumer-level printing is done with inkjets, which smears/runs when wet. If you have a photo printer at home you'd get the same results if your homemade prints get moisture on them.

The pro lab printing my photos uses real photo paper, chemicals and light to expose my digital photographs. I don't know the full details, but I know they use light sensitive paper run through a chemical process. Basically this means the photo is developed just like film. This makes prints much more tolerant to moisture and sun damage (fading), etc.

I hope that answers your question...
08-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Also sorry to hear this. The answer to your question is most consumer-level printing is done with inkjets, which smears/runs when wet. If you have a photo printer at home you'd get the same results if your homemade prints get moisture on them.

The pro lab printing my photos uses real photo paper, chemicals and light to expose my digital photographs. I don't know the full details, but I know they use light sensitive paper run through a chemical process. Basically this means the photo is developed just like film. This makes prints much more tolerant to moisture and sun damage (fading), etc.

I hope that answers your question...
I have an inkjet printer at home-- Canon-- and my glossy photos don't do what the staples print did if I get them spotted.I wipe them and the ink stays there. Not so on the staples print.--charliezap

08-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charlie, I wonder if there is a sealer that can be applied. Hope this fun project doesn't get too expensive, let us know what happens or what is suggested. Bob
08-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, I wonder if there is a sealer that can be applied. Hope this fun project doesn't get too expensive, let us know what happens or what is suggested. Bob
not cheap but i've used this on archival stuff

Hahnemuhle Protective Spray 14oz 2 Pack Set HFA-2 Sprays HM0000214 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

if you have a good paint sprayer premier imaging products makes a bulk product that is harder to apply but way cheaper in the long run

sample kit

http://www.vistek.ca/store/PortfoliosAlbums/221752/premier-imaging-products-...queous-co.aspx
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I have an inkjet printer at home-- Canon-- and my glossy photos don't do what the staples print did if I get them spotted.I wipe them and the ink stays there. Not so on the staples print.--charliezap
Same here with Epson 1400, IF the print is allowed to dry for 24 hours in low humidity. Not waterproof though, similar to photo print, if water is allowed to stand, there will be a visible 'spot'.

08-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it depends on which canon (some do smear) and what the paper stock is

I have no issues with my 9000 but i usually print on archival fine art papers designed for the ink type (i still use the spray as it prevents fading effectively as well)
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

And the spray will need to be applied carefully, especially if it's applied to another Staples print. The moisture from the spray might do some damage before it dries. If you plan on doing this again I'd buy the spray and test on your print that's already been spotted.
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
And the spray will need to be applied carefully, especially if it's applied to another Staples print. The moisture from the spray might do some damage before it dries. If you plan on doing this again I'd buy the spray and test on your print that's already been spotted.
good idea
I'd also let any further prints set for 24-48 hours before applying the spray
08-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went to Staples and they are going to reprint it and then laminate the picture.This saga is ongoing.--Stay tuned kids.--charliezap
08-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I went to Staples and they are going to reprint it and then laminate the picture.This saga is ongoing.--Stay tuned kids.--charliezap
Squeaky wheel wins again well done Capt'n
08-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Squeaky wheel wins again well done Capt'n
They were very nice about it Dave and today after work it will be ready.--capn zap
08-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

They were very nice about it Dave and today after work it will be ready.--capn zap
Serioulsy that is just good customer service - this alone will bring you back, word of mouth, etc. I try and pick my shops for the these very same reasons - Costco is very good , Sears and where I take my vehicles (in fact they have more than once ocassion just charged me just for parts ......) - these stores know it will bring me back and in the long run they come out way ahead.

Good luck curious what the lamination process will look like.