Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Young Raccoons drinking
Lens: 70-300 Tamron Camera: K200D Photo Location: Back Yard ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: sumrall, 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM

There were three Raccoon families last year. We had a total of 15 raccoons (12 young, 3 moms). Food must have been scarce as they first came into yard during daylight to eat birdseed on the ground. We felt for them so started putting out cat food at night for them. It was worth it considering the photos we got. They never became friendly and these photos were taken through the kitchen window.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Views: 1,451
08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cute shots--Too bad they don't stay that size.--charliezap
08-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given that you had to shoot thru the window - something I have to do often - these are wonderful. I've been trying for years to get a good raccoon shot and would be quite pleased to have something like yours in my collection!
08-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had an adult climb into my kitchen window once when I lived in the NY area. I came in, flipped the light on to view a scene from a madhouse.

I had 10 cats in a studio sized apartment at the time because I had an unexpectedly pregnant cat dumped on me while it's people went on vacation for several months. She had 4 in addition to my two, and that made 7, then that same month I found a box of kittens in the freezing rain and I had to bring them home because I didn't have the $$$ right then to pay for the shelter fees.

The raccoon was after the trash, but the Mama cat had to defend her kittens who apparently had no sense when it came to being too curious and were sitting there watching from the bathroom door. My two were hysterical and the other kittens which were in a cat cage were sitting there wide eyed as the raccoon trashed the kitchen and tried to avoid a gang of very angry adult cats!

I wish I'd had a camera at the time to capture that scene, lol.

It surprised me though how big it was. I had never seen an adult at that point, I guess. I always thought raccoons were about a foot tall, maybe a bit bigger, but mostly small. Uh, not, at least not this one. It was huge and on it's hind legs it was far bigger than I ever dreamed one would be. I chased it back out with a broom, but I was very glad that it hadn't taken on one of the cats. It would have hurt them badly if it had tried. I was very glad I'd scrambled up enough to get them all their shots at least. Otherwise, who knows what might have happened?

08-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot and a great story by Magkelly, raccoons can be very nasty and aggressive, especially when cornered. Bob