Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

More From My Home Made Light Box...
Posted By: PentaxFan, 11-27-2007, 07:44 PM

K100D Super & SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm Lens!

Views: 4,316
11-29-2007, 03:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Teehee! i had the same setup for my assignments at uni (broke student) and it worked a treat. If you can try tracing paper ( white vellum not the transparent grey stuff) or something similar like baking paper works much better at diffusing the lights. And yeah, this setup was good enough to get me through varsity lol Way cool

11-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I really wanted a light box but buying a commercially made item at nearly $100 seemed ridiculous, so I also made one. I got the idea from a website and it is fairly simple. It is just an 18" cube made of 1/2" plastic water pipe, elbows and T's. I drape a couple yards of thin white cloth over it all, place different coloured sheets of bristol board inside (if necessary), aim several bright desk lamps at it and take pictures of things inside.

Although more costly than a cardboard box it has the advantage of being partly disassembled and folded flat for storage. Like Mike Cash suggested it can be placed over the top of large or taller items. I haven't used it in a while; I think you have inspired me to drag it out this weekend have some fun.
11-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

At the $-store they have mattress and pillow covers made of linen type material.

You could, if you have time (or not, depends the way you look at it), play around with those folding laundry baskets, you know, the cheap ones.
12-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #19

Cool light box. I've got to try and build my own.

Thanks for sharing

12-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the kind feedback and other interesting variation of the light box! They all sound neat and worthwhile! Perhaps I should make a few styles and see which one I like the best ;-)
12-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I think what I'll do is pick up some light bulbs and get a couple incandescent and a couple fluorescent.

I think fluorescent might make the subjects colors a little more true. But I'm not sure, so I have to test it out and see!
You can buy daylight balanced bulbs. Try a hardware store for cheap-ish ones.
12-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
You can buy daylight balanced bulbs. Try a hardware store for cheap-ish ones.
Thanks for the tip Beth ;-)

12-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Awsome!!!

Thanks so much for the project idea. Now I'll have something to do rather than stare at the snow flying outside this winter.
12-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxFan Quote
Thanks folks ;-)

Ok..This is a rather cheesy photo and set up, but it gets the job done!

1 Box

3 squares cut out of it (1 on top, 2 on sides)

Squares covered with tissue paper (1 sheet thickness)

White Gloss Bristol Board for the inside....long enough and strong enough to take a gentle curve from top to bottom.

2 Cheap Desk Lamps ($10.00 Each) w/60 watt bulbs (Now changed to 100 watt bulbs for much better & brighter light!

Often... I bring the lamps to the front and shine them directly into the box! It makes for a much whiter result on the bristol board! I also set my white balance on the camera to Tungsten!
Hey PF,

I hope you see this thread again. I was wondering why you make a "opening" on the top.

Thanks,
Tom
12-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^ wouldnt it be just to let in more soft light in from the top? or perhaps you can use a lamp on the top section for different light/shadows??
12-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Well Ive managed to nail a box and cut the sides out, have got the lamps but we dont have an art shop here in Keswick. It meens I need to travel 50 miles to get tracing paper! Will do it on my next excersion, maybe toilet roll might work in the meantime, we have lots of that

Nice shots by the way
12-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #27

Great! Thanks for the inspiration!

Dont think I`ve ever seen one of these for sale her in Norway.

Last edited by Karl Inge S; 12-09-2007 at 12:01 PM.
12-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Hey PF,

I hope you see this thread again. I was wondering why you make a "opening" on the top.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom...Just an extra "opening" to help keep the top of objects lit up a little more ;-) Sometimes I shine the lights down through the opening too!

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
^^ wouldn't it be just to let in more soft light in from the top? or perhaps you can use a lamp on the top section for different light/shadows??
Yes...see above ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Well Ive managed to nail a box and cut the sides out, have got the lamps but we don't have an art shop here in Keswick. It meens I need to travel 50 miles to get tracing paper! Will do it on my next excersion, maybe toilet roll might work in the meantime, we have lots of that

Nice shots by the way
Thanks....you can probably get away with just regular printer paper for now! The light will make it through, however more diffused than you might desire!