Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Calm Days
Lens: Sigma 50-500 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park 
Posted By: daacon, 08-19-2011, 07:34 AM

I went out for a walk the other day with Big Bertha knowing I would obviously capture some chickadees, red winged balck birds, duck, geese, commorants, coots, otters , woodpeckers , etc ...

It was a rare calm day here - no wind, no rain, weather was perfect, light was great. Only two downsides - the mosquitos were out in force not sure I lost a pint of blood, but I did feel dizzy . Other issue freaking birds did not corporate - even with big bertha attached most of them were just too far out in the marsh for any reasonable shots.

So trying to make lemonade out of lemons the shutter was clicked and here are some shots.

This is called Festival Place. A local theatre.

Can always get geese here for a little while longer. They are way too smart to spend the winters here. Makes me wonder about the expression 'Bird Brian"

Fall and back to school are rapidly approaching which can only mean it's time for High School Football pratices

Obligatory wetlands shot - still amazed at how tall the vegatation is this year. Lots of rain will do that I guess (sorry for all you suffering from the heat waves)

Caught some other photographers 'in the wild'

Managed one otter/muskrat shot - he surfaced too close to the shore and was moving pretty quick to allow more than one snaop

And finally this shot sums up the day - had this guy right in my sites then at the last minute he hides behind the leaves ..

Views: 1,212
08-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, I enjoyed taking the walk with you, it is always great to get out and roam around. Great colors and the water looks refreshing. I didn't know they played much football up there, thought it was all hockey. Damn mosquitoes. Bob
08-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like the muskrat, they are near and dear to my heart.

The shot with the photogs made me chuckle.
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave, I enjoyed taking the walk with you, it is always great to get out and roam around. Great colors and the water looks refreshing. I didn't know they played much football up there, thought it was all hockey. Damn mosquitoes. Bob
Thanks Bob - Yeah football is pretty big here. We have the pro's (CFL) and highschool and junior teams. Now big does not mean Texas Big where they can get more people to a high school game then we get at the pros - My take on it , I find the CFL more exicting than the NFL (3 downs , longer wider field, better clock in the last two minutes) - but there is no doubt most of the better atheletes are in the NFL. Lots of NFL QB'S got their start here Joe Theisman, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie to name a few..... you are also correct in that Hockey is the sport up here.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Like the muskrat, they are near and dear to my heart.
The shot with the photogs made me chuckle.
Thanks luftfluss I don't catch them very oftern wish he had given me more time, as for the other photog's not sure what they were shooting maybe dragon flies or something as where they were there is not much but weeds - but you know us artsy types we don't need much haha.

08-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice varied images there Dave.
Looked like a fin time to be out with the Bigma.
08-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lush, rich colors, bud - nice job.

Jer
08-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice varied images there Dave.
Looked like a fin time to be out with the Bigma.
Thanks Ash - it was ok looking to practice some BIF but no such luck. It's certainly not a discreete lens and got a few comments from people passing by.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Lush, rich colors, bud - nice job.
Jer
Thanks Jer we have to enjoy it as oh too soon all the color will be gone and repalced with blankets of white.

Last edited by daacon; 08-20-2011 at 06:40 AM.