Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So Close I Could Have Touched Him...
Posted By: magkelly, 08-19-2011, 03:26 PM

I had a lovely birdy visitor in the yard about an hour ago and he was not shy at ALL. He was quite friendly in fact. At one point he was about maybe 12 inches from my hand and the camera. I was very tempted to reach out and stroke his beak but I didn't think he'd stay that close if I tried.

The light is a little iffy today, rain is coming, but I just had to try for it anyway. Yeah, they're watermarked, sue me, smile. Everything was on auto, no time to fiddle, but considering the light wasn't great, I rather like these. It's very rare I get thisclose to a wild bird.

I like 2 the best I think. It was definitely the money shot for today's little impromptu photo session. #3 and #4 are the same shot. #4 is a crop of #3. It's not as sharp on his beak as I would have liked, but I like the angle of his head in that one a lot. I can't decide whether I like it better with part of his body or close up more. I do like the curve of his neck and the line of his body, the whisp of the feathers down below but I think maybe it's just a bit better as a portrait.

One last photo. I somehow missed posting this one when I was working on these earlier and it figures it's the sharpest one too!!!

Last edited by magkelly; 08-19-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Forgot a pic!!!!
Views: 1,011
08-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots...
08-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now that is close ! Well done.
08-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

I like those, very close indeed! 2nd is my favorite. Maybe he will hang around for more fun?
Regards!

08-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I really like the 2nd shot, the portrait is very cool.

Do you think that he's become accustomed to humans as a source of hand-outs? I encountered a swan earlier this year who swam right up to me - within a yard - with his tail wagging like a dog. He followed me for a few minutes up and down the shoreline, then swam away when no food was forthcoming. The episode was cute, but also a gentle warning that "wild" animals can become too dependent on humans.
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That second shot is proof positive I think that maybe my new Sigma just might give me more than it has so far. It's a bit dodgy in low light, but then that's all I've had to work with so far. I have high hopes for what it might do in excellent light, but it's been too hot to be out when the light is very strong and we've had a lot of cloudy, rainy days since I got it besides. This is not my favorite time of year. I don't do major heat well. It keeps me inside a lot and it keeps the birds away...
08-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I really like the 2nd shot, the portrait is very cool.

Do you think that he's become accustomed to humans as a source of hand-outs? I encountered a swan earlier this year who swam right up to me - within a yard - with his tail wagging like a dog. He followed me for a few minutes up and down the shoreline, then swam away when no food was forthcoming. The episode was cute, but also a gentle warning that "wild" animals can become too dependent on humans.
Probably, a bit. Though we have a rule that you're not supposed to feed the wild animals around here. A rule that I cheerfully break by leaving bird seed out in the winter and rabbit food under the house pretty much all the time, cough, cough. I don't feed the big birds though. Plenty of fish to be had. We have lakes all around and a bayou.

There are tons of these birds around here. Herons of all kind, pelicans, cormorants, et all. We get whole flocks of the little ones walking across the yards. Hawks, eagles, tons of prey and little birds too usually. When it's not too hot outside they roam all over. Usually they're a lot more skittish than this one was though. It surprised me.

They will sit on the docks and beg bait shrimp and fish off the guys who like to sit there with their rods, at the door of my local fish market. But they usually don't come petting close like this one did. That was unusual even for me and I'm kind of a wild bird lady. I tend to attract them for some reason and they're just not usually too scared of me.

These were taken at my parent's place. Dad came outside on me and scared this guy actually. I had him standing right beside me while I was talking to him, hardly a foot away, and then Dad just "had" to come out and see what I was out shooting right then. He opens the door and the heron sees him and the cat sitting there and that was it, the bird took off...
08-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This guy was close - nice catch.

Jer