Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Just Some Lizards...
Posted By: magkelly, 08-19-2011, 05:30 PM

I photograph all the lizards around here quite a bit. I'm still trying to get the hang of using the new Sigma. So far I haven't had any really great light and unfortunately it seems the reviews I saw about the Sigma being a bit weak in low light are pretty accurate. I guess I am not too surprised there. Most of the zooms I've tried manual or AF have been that way.

These were actually done near the library the other day and most of them were under trees so they are bit darker than I'd like. I like these shots though. Lots of texture and some interesting things going on with the one lizard's chin. I forget what they call that thing, but I just love it when they puff up like that and pump up and down like little bodybuilders, laugh.

(Again, I do use a watermark such as it is. I know a lot of people hate them, but I feel it's better than nothing...)

Views: 1,507
08-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the 2nd one lost part of his tail, it will grow back and the last shot is great, nice shot of the throat sac, the lizard looks like a species of the Anole lizard family?
08-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Probably there are a ton of different Anole species here, always have been, though the past 5 years or so I've seen lizards from South America and all sorts of places. I walked out of my house a few months ago and I don't know WHAT it was but there was this huge black lizard about a foot long that had a hump and spines like a triceratops and I had never seen it's like in suburbia before. I have a book on the local lizards and it's not in there, so I am thinking it wasn't a native species.
08-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really like the last two - which Sigma ?

08-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma 70-3001:4-5.6 DL Macro AF, not the APO version. Bargain lens from KEH, worth every penny I paid so far, I think. It's not the 55-300 but it's still a very nice lens.