Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A passel of Raccoons
Lens: 70-300 Tamron Camera: K200D Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: sumrall, 08-19-2011, 06:48 PM

When the raccoons began coming into yard during daylight, figured they must be mighty hungry so we started putting out cat food for them.
Come night time we noticed a lot more coming into yard. We put up a floodlight in order to take photos through the kitchen window. We were entertained for many hours watching these critters.
This was last year. Have never seen more than two at one time this year.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Views: 1,305
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOW! that is a passel for sure. Nice shots,too.
Be careful, though. A dog I had once brought me home a baby coon whose eyes were barely open. Of course I kept her and did the whole bottle feeding thing, etc.. After I had given her to an animal rehab place, I found out that they can carry rabies and not have the disease-kind of like typhoid Mary did and they are susceptible to distemper.
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is very cool.
08-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That second shot looks surreal, great feeling to it. Is the lack of water this keeping them away, or do they just move on to different territory, great photos. Bob

08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
WOW! that is a passel for sure. Nice shots,too.
Be careful, though. A dog I had once brought me home a baby coon whose eyes were barely open. Of course I kept her and did the whole bottle feeding thing, etc.. After I had given her to an animal rehab place, I found out that they can carry rabies and not have the disease-kind of like typhoid Mary did and they are susceptible to distemper.
Yeah, have to catch'em young to make a pet of them. I captured one in a 'live' trap and thought I'd tame him - wrong!

But did raise a Quaker (Monk) Parrot from infancy. He trained so well that I would let him fly freely. He would always come back and land on my shoulder. For the six years we had him he never once flew away...he did chew through our fiberglass screen while we were away for weekend. Never saw him again. I hope he found another good home.
08-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Neat! What a group of clowns...I love to watch Raccoons play, they are a regular circus on legs.

Regards!