Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Thunder on the Niagara
Lens: Pentax 18-250 Camera: Pentax K7 Photo Location: Tonawanda, NY ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/6000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: zman, 08-21-2011, 10:24 AM

"Thunder on the Niagara" is a racing competition for hydroplane boats. I was told the top competitors can reach speeds of 150MPH. I don't think anyone went that fast on the Niagara River yesterday because the water was slightly choppy. And they sure are LOUD !

Last edited by zman; 11-26-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Views: 1,198
08-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The hydroplanes with gas turbine engines aren't all that loud. The earlier hydroplanes with V-12 aircraft engines were loud. I remember when they had races on Onondaga Lake in the '80s and you could hear them miles away.
08-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Shots! Welcome to the world of Hydroplane racing! I'm going to Celina, OH next weekend for the Worlds. I will have my trusty K200D in my hand.
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great pics, zman!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The hydroplanes with gas turbine engines aren't all that loud. The earlier hydroplanes with V-12 aircraft engines were loud. I remember when they had races on Onondaga Lake in the '80s and you could hear them miles away.
The new unlimiteds with the turbines are OK to watch. They're faster (can top 200 in good conditions) and a bit quieter. BUT, the "unlimited lights" running piston engines, those are the boats that get my blood pumpin' They're the older style boats, not quite as fast (they top out around 170, 175), but ohhh the sound of an old Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 pushing that boat, just absolutely heavenly! There's just nothing else like it... This summer was our first one back in the Seattle area, and getting my fix of hydro racing for Seafair weekend was wonderful.

Jim (long live the Slo-Mo-Shun!)