Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Camping trip
Posted By: mr tibbs, 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM

I took my new lens out for a bit of a work out this weekend on a camping/fishing trip with my family. Here are a few pics from the set:

The rest of the set can be seen here. C&C welcome as always! I feel that I am getting better but I still need all the help I can get. I have a thick skin so please feel free to speak your mind.
Views: 3,241
08-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After a bit of practice with metallic papers, I'd also do a 4x6 or 5x7 test on metal. To my mind it's not the same medium as printing on non-metallic papers, not everything looks good on it, but #1 could possibly benefit from the 3d effect you sometimes get printing on metal or metallic papers.

Great shot by the way. Good luck with the Christmas present.

08-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After a bit of practice with metallic papers, I'd also do a 4x6 or 5x7 test on metal. To my mind it's not the same medium as printing on non-metallic papers, not everything looks good on it, but #1 could possibly benefit from the 3d effect you sometimes get printing on metal or metallic papers.

Great shot by the way. Good luck with the Christmas present.
Hi
You are quite right. I use metallic paper from time to time but am very choosy when. Not all motives lend themselves for this type of paper. I find motives with a technical flavor like machinery, cars and some architecture work best with it. Usually silver doesn't work so well with deep shadows in my opinion.

I can see some merit for silver with this one though. I would, as you already pointed out, also try a small sample print first and take it from there. (Mainly because the bloody stuff is so expensive).

Another very superb paper is ILFORD's Smooth Pearl. I use this probably more than any other paper. It shows no chroming effect and does not metameris with the right inks. It is just a fantastic paper to print on.

Whichever, our friend should definitely try to get it printed because it will give him a lot of pleasure (and his parents). He needs to see someone who knows his/her trade though.

Greetings
08-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm an outdoor photographer, and I assure you that your first image is exceptional, as good as anything I've taken or seen. I've also gone retro recently with the K10D, because I think the CCD sensor is best for capturing these kind of scenes, although I always use it on 100 ISO, where noise is never a problem. The PP suggestions from Schraubstock make this a perfect shot. It has WOW smeared all over it. Man, I wish I had been there.
08-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, thanks for all of the kind comments. To be honest I am a little set back by all of your comments. I do not consider myself to be a photographer in any way compared to the great photos I see here on a daily basis so to see you guys/gals saying such nice things about my photos blows me away.

Thank you again for the comments and the motivation to keep shooting!!

08-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful photos! I really like #5.
09-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #21
Forum Member

Particularly like #'s 4 & 5. Lovely looking area, right up my street.
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Love the fourth shot. Nice work.