Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Psittacus exitium
Lens: da*50-135 f2.8 Camera: k5 Photo Location: Glasgow ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Usuqa, 08-23-2011, 03:52 AM

So for a while now I've been wanting to shoot a shot of my parrot as if she was the star monster in an action/horror movie. So the other day when I was walking around Glasgow, I was glad to see some construction/deconstruction work going on.

Not knowing exactly what would work (but had an idea) I went about capturing the scene from different angles and I also used a telephoto to capture the panoramic scenes so I would have lots of room for cropping and fine details.

When I got home, I picked which scene to render then went about setting my small loft studio up for my parrot.

lighting

The scene was overcast with hardly no shadows and lots of soft light so to emulate that I put two soft box's up close either side and to the front of my parrot so she got some nice soft feathed light from both angles.

pet trickery

Because Yoshi's a pet and not a model I knew I getting the right pose from her would be tricky, So I used my tripod with one of the handles in a vertical position and placed her on top. Knowing that parrots are inquisitive by nature I knew she would start to climb down and look about. (she also chomped some of my rubber grip grrr lol )

I joined both photos together, moving Yoshi about and resizing her till she matched what I wanted. I then used a mask to fit her into the image.
Next I did some color correction (to look more like a movie), a texture overlay and a bunch of other stuff.. just to make it look how I wanted.

Anyway here's the shot

Views: 1,167
08-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nicely done.I like it.--charliezap
08-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The shot was worth the effort nicely done and sorry about your grip.
08-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea.
Well executed.
Perhaps a little too much tonemapping, reducing contrast, but otherwise a brilliant result.

08-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh that is hilarious! The circling birds at left are the perfect finishing touch. Great work from conception through to execution. [I think a bit more contrast on Yoshi would make a better match with the backdrop.]
08-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the nice comments, After looking at the image more I can see that I should tweak it a little more (will do before print) but Im pretty happy with it overall

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Great idea.
Well executed.
Perhaps a little too much tonemapping, reducing contrast, but otherwise a brilliant result.
The landscape shot was underexposed allot, it was the only way I could get details in the sky (very bright overcast sky), So i had to push the shadow's a lot and do some + brightness while keeping the sky in check.

I did do a tone mapped layer to bring out some details but it was set at a very low opacity.. I'll try share one of the original photo's later

Last edited by Usuqa; 08-23-2011 at 04:55 AM.
08-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Closed Account

Very creative!

08-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's awesome! Good work!
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I spent a little time re-editing the photo.
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

alfred hitchcock would have given you a thumbs up on your update of his movie, 'the birds'... dave m