Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 winter landscapes
Posted By: little laker, 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM

I still have several other pic's to sort through, but you might like at least 2 of these pictures.

This Frozen fountain is located in Osoyoos, British Columbia.

Just so you all know, Osoyoos is Canada's hottest city (It really is, but that's average temperatures. Summers are hot there, and most winter days are right around freezing)

This picture was taken in Penticton, British Columbia.

I know that the sky is kind of blown out on the right, however in my opinion it sort of works with this picture
That on the left is a brush that got sprayed during a COLD wind storm. This lake is well known for it's wind.
I should mention that channeler (Paul) just spent a couple of weeks right across the lake from this spot.
It was really nice to meet you Paul, and I wish that we had more time together.

And this picture is close to my house.

I don't know if I like that angle of the bridge or not .
Please let me know what you think of it.

I might post more pictures tonight, but I'll probably start a new thread with them.
Views: 3,787
11-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #2

Those are some great shots Stu!

I'm really digging the fountain, it's such an interesting focal point.

The contrast in the third image is impressive. Is it HDR?
11-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Chris,
And nope, it isn't an HDR. All that I did was bump the contrast just a hair.
11-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nicely done, Stu.

They may say it's the warmest city in Canada, but I suspect you'll have a few more days like that this winter....Environment Canada's calling for the coldest winter in 15 years. Maybe we'll even get some decent snow here (SW Ontario).....one can hope, anyway.

12-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice work Stu. I get a chill just viewing them. Beautiful opportunities that you've done well to capture here. They seem like another world from me. As much as I like all of these, I think the first images calls me back the most.
12-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Very nicely done, Stu.

They may say it's the warmest city in Canada, but I suspect you'll have a few more days like that this winter....Environment Canada's calling for the coldest winter in 15 years. Maybe we'll even get some decent snow here (SW Ontario).....one can hope, anyway.
Thanks Andrew,
Your right, it sounds like I'll be able to share several cold weather pictures with everyone.
I just hope that I can bring you more of a verity this year than last year. I've got a couple of warming ideas to go with them.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Nice work Stu. I get a chill just viewing them. Beautiful opportunities that you've done well to capture here. They seem like another world from me. As much as I like all of these, I think the first images calls me back the most.
Thanks LaRee.
12-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

These are some really crisp shots ... the peircing blue skies against the white snow .... really brings out the cool in these shots.

I really do like the effect for the snow/ice on the fountain in the first image.

12-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shots Stu and looks like you've been battling the great winter weather as well. For the bridge my personal opinion woul dbe to get the entrance of it if it isn't too cluttered.
12-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
These are some really crisp shots ... the peircing blue skies against the white snow .... really brings out the cool in these shots.

I really do like the effect for the snow/ice on the fountain in the first image.
Thanks Simon

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Great shots Stu and looks like you've been battling the great winter weather as well. For the bridge my personal opinion woul dbe to get the entrance of it if it isn't too cluttered.
Thanks Chris, and thats a very good idea.

Next time I should drive up the back roads if it's passable, and hopefully take the pictures before anyone crosses it. this time, so my footprints may have taken away from the effect.

The other side is just too overgrown to attempt such a shot.
12-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great work, as usual Stu.. I like #2 the best, love the sun reflecting off the water. Great captures.

-Dan
12-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Stu #1 is great. we are getting our first signs of winter today. Looks like you already know how it feels. Great shots and I feel cold just looking.
12-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice Shots... !!

Nice Shots Stu.... Glad to see you back at it.. i was missing seeing your pictures.. They are always great!!!

I also thought that #3 was an HDR picture... The coloring is definately different.. But I prefer #1.. it is nice and clear and unique with the ice..

Great job as always...

Kim
12-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Truely inspirational. I like the first shot the best - beautiful in deed.
12-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Nice shots! I really enjoy the fountain and the bridge!
12-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was told that Osoyoos also has Canada's only dessert. Keep up with these type of pictures and people will really think we all live in igloos.

The rest of the province is snowed-under and we get zilch but, it sure is cold.

Stu, I agree, the angle of the bridge doesn't seem right but it could be the colour - it just seems it doesn't stick-out.