Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Meow...(A Little Ricoh Art Project....)
Posted By: magkelly, 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM

I've always wanted to do this to an old SLR. I'm not much of a pink person otherwise but I like dark hot pink and black, particularly when there are leopard prints or dots involved. I didn't want the look of camera leather really. Since there was nothing wrong with the leather on this camera except for it being faded I decided to have some fun.

The goal here was sort of a distressed tawdry leopard kitten look. (Or as my BFF said when I showed it to her "Oh my gosh it's a hooker drag queen camera!") I hand painted and sealed it then added a few craft baubles. Yes, it still functions. Yes, I intend to use it. Yes, it will eventually get a matching hot pink and black strap of some sort and probably a little bag to match. I'll probably sew something appropriate up at some point.

Yeah, I know totally over the top, but that's the point, and I like it, grin.

Views: 1,744
08-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

MY EYES, MY EYES!!!

[/me eyes bleed...]

Now post this on 4chan.
08-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nah, it's staying here. That 4chan place? Looks way scarier than what I just did to the old Ricoh, lol.

You think this is bad you should see my jeans. I've been drawing (and lately beading, stamping and using rhinestones) on my clothes for years. Actually it's not so crazy. A few months back I sold a pair of my boots I did right off my feet. Someone gave me this pair of cheap black suede ankle boots. I put pink glitter dots and swirls on them and then made a crochet trim and some laces for them out of some pink and black furry designer yarn? This woman saw them and liked them so much she gave me $100 for them.

I've another similar pair in green and black almost ready to go up on Etsy soon as a test case. I want to see if I can get more for them than she paid me. If so I may add a few pairs of those to my storefront now and again. It takes too long to do if I am not going to get good money for them, but everybody seemed to really like the pair I did so I figure why not?

Camera Leather should branch out a bit more and do some fun prints I think. I like the snake skins and all, but their one pink colored leather is boring. I'd love to see them out out some faux smooth leatherette prints, like tiger strips, graffiti, camo, metalics, or whatever. If they'd had a hot metallic teal I'd have gone there for Queenie, but the only teal they have is kind of flat more like real leather, not a fun fabric.

Last edited by magkelly; 08-31-2011 at 12:22 AM.
08-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Closed Account

Does Paris Hilton have a Pentaxforums account? LOL. Just kidding. Nice creativity!

08-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paris Hilton is way too uncool to choose to shoot a Pentax-Ricoh. More likely she'd probably shoot a pimped out diamond encrusted Hasselblad DSLR...
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha, well if ever a camera has been described as fabulous, it's got to be that one

Good stuff
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

NOW Do you like my Carbon Fibre ME?!

Kudos for being different!

09-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have no idea of what ME you're referring to. Show me?
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time for a self portrait in matching outfit
09-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Time for a self portrait in matching outfit
HECK NO, GRIN.

The day you see my fabulous face posted online it will likely be a picture of me right before they push my cold, dead corpse into an incinerator. I do portraits of other people. I do not allow portraits of me. I nearly eviscerated a sibling recently who thought it would be cute to take pics of me with his cell and therefore violate my stated "NO PICS OF ME EVER!!!" rule. I stood there over him and threatened him with severe bodily harm until he deleted them and believe me he knew I meant it too! There is exactly one set of nice pics of me in existence. There are no yearbook photos, no school class shots, no family shots that I don't have the only copy of. If my siblings want to continue to talk to me, on any basis? That is one rule that they will never break.

Tough? Yeah, but that's how I feel about being the subject of photos. I never did like it much, even as a kid. I used to scramble off and hide when the grandmas wanted to take some of all the kids. There were not too many of me to begin with, but since I inherited the photos of both grandmas, and my folks photos, there are none. I gave my siblings anything they wanted of them, but I destroyed the stuff of me with a couple of very early exceptions. I do have a couple of baby pics, and a good pro shoot from when I was 19, but that's it, and I even have the negatives for those so they won't be popping up on Facebook in my lifetime, laugh.
09-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bet the gub'ment has a few pictures of you
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, unfortunately I can't avoid the one on the driver's license, but what can you do? Short of not having any ID and not driving I can't really do much about that one. But I'm not worried much about an inch big pic of me that doesn't even look like me anyhow. It's the family snapshots thing that I'm not too fond of...
09-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Please don't let anyone see this ! Or all of our cool old film cameras will be snatched up and become fashion accessories for the current generation.

Pretty snazzy looking !

Eric
09-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You just need a pink Ricoh lens cap now to top it all off.
09-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was actually thinking about doing a pink leopard fur cap for it. Somewhere in my craft boxes there is a piece of material from a kid's toy cat carrier that should do it I think, but I haven't located it as yet. I was too busy trying moving multiple buckets to catch rain leaks and later trying not to climb on my parent's roof to get back to this. But I think I've got the weekend off it looks like. No more roof holes and I think the folks may be going to stay with friends a couple of towns over for the holiday. They invited me, big picnic, but since my roommates are also gone this weekend I am staying home and enjoying the silence. Other than an occasional meow or a bark it will be blissfully quiet around here and I mean to take full advantage of that phone not ringing..

I'm still debating on keeping the Minolta the guy gave me. I kind of like it and with the exception of a 85/135MM lens I have practically a whole lens kit with that one. The Nikon EM I think I am going to find a new home for. I like it's size and look a lot, and it's got a really nice Nikon lens on it, but the lack of a shutter speed control is a bit of an issue for me. Only having two out of three parts of the pyramid to work with just feels weird. The AE1 I'm not sure about yet. I forgot to get a battery this afternoon when I went to the store, but if it works likely it will go off someplace too as getting lenses for those is a real PITA. (Too expensive.) I'm thinking I might like to swap the camera leather on the Minolta out and keep it, get a lens between 85-135MM and use it. Looks like a nice little camera....

Last edited by magkelly; 09-02-2011 at 11:54 PM.