Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
BW Photo Session With HRH
Posted By: magkelly, 08-31-2011, 11:29 PM

A little black and white photo session with one of my favorite models. Princess of Ireland Barbie from 2001. This doll has an early Mackie (Midge) sculpt with closed mouth. It's one of my favorites and I have several variants on the theme. POI is one of my favorites though. Normally when I take shots of Barbie and company in color. She's a dark redhead with green eyes and that's lovely too, but I think she looks good in B&W actually. Scuse the watermarks but as you all know by now, I do use them, shrug...

Babs likes Pentax, smile...

I like shooting on a diagonal sometimes.

Looks a bit sultry here for a doll, doesn't she?

Don't remember your/your sister's old Barbie being able to bend and pose like this? Well, that's because they couldn't back then! Regard the wonder that is modern doll articulation. POI has been the recent recipient of a body swap. She now has a Liv doll body, which is one of the most inexpensive posable doll bodies out there today. This body? It can do back flips and can even stand on it's own! It's not quite a nice as a Japanese Ball Joint Doll body, but it can still do things that my old childhood Barbies could only dream of doing. The Plastic People have come a long way since I was a kid!

This is what I do when I am bored and I have no humans available for photo shoots. It's almost the same thing really. Everything is just miniaturized. You still have to light them like they were human so it's good practice I think. In this case I was L up lighting because I wanted a lot of shadow like the old Hollywood portraits of Garbo et all. I actually tried to light her straight up the front from below a couple of times but it didn't look right in that outfit. It worked in terms of technique but it looked stupid. When you're doing that the subject really needs to be in formal wear and I didn't feel like digging out an evening gown at the moment. I may grab a black dress and put her in the light box later in the week, just to see if I can get it to work. She already has the right look for it, the good retro makeup, particularly the lips.

Last edited by magkelly; 08-31-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Views: 1,281
09-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you definitely weren't bored with this- more can be done with a doll than you'd think

The first and last pics are great!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #3

Good way to entertain yourself. Not only some good practice but good pics as well.
09-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like you definitely weren't bored with this- more can be done with a doll than you'd think

The first and last pics are great!
High praise coming from you, Adam!

Thanks, to both of you.

09-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! She's a real doll!
Regards!
09-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very creative. Also nicely done

Dennis
09-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hmmm, I just had an interesting idea. More later, grin...