Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ashley
Posted By: JahJahwarrior, 12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Recently, I've been shooting a lot of pictures of this beautiful female friend of mine. We are just friends, but she doesn't mind me taking pictures of her. (I'm going to get her to sign model releases) We were at this park with a swingset...and then there was a deer....and she had a soccer game...

all but thelast picture you can click to view a bigger version.

I would appreciate constructive criticism about anything and everything! Also, if you think she's good looking please leave a post to that effect--she kind of seems to think she's nothing special and I'd love to be able to say "well, 50 people from all over the world think you are pretty" Hey, it's finals week, any encouragement helps!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by JahJahwarrior; 12-01-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fixed broken links
Views: 2,017
12-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like 1, 3, and 5. I think 2 could have been great but she's too severly cropped (blown highlights?). 4 is a bit too busy for me and 6 is a bit dark.

NaCl(and yes, she is a very good looking young woman)H2O
12-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If she ain't pretty who is? And she plays soccer which makes her an even Better person.

Me thinks you should slow-down, both of you, an shoot pictures where you have time to focus. If you're going to keep shooting "moving" shots than raise the ISO.
12-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
NaClH2O--None of the shots are cropped, and if they are, it was very slight...I don't remember cropping any of these. She was on a swing. I was 10 feet away with a 135mm lens...(200 or so with crop factor). That's why it's composed so oddly. I liked the feeling of vibrancy in it, even though it's not the best.

As for focus, I'm shooting with manual focus lenses. I also have a tendency to shoot rather wide open in order to keep my ISO low, and I like to shoot around 1/100 or 1/250. The first shots are from a swing, she was moving back and forth. I had to anticipate when she would enter my viewfinder and when she would be in focus...I think something like one out of ever 5 or 6 shots turned out halfway decent. I have one photo that doesn't contain her at all, and another almost perfectly in focus on her stomach...

But is my focus that noticiably off? I'm not my own best critic....

#4, the water shot, is an upside view up a creek. I did not crop it in order to give the viewer the cues--the banks of the waterway at the bottom, and the leaves in the water in the top, they would need in order to understand it. But, I might try some crops to see if I can make it less "busy" but still retain that "oh mygoodness, that's upside down?" feel.

#6, the soccer shot....she was standing still. If you look at big versions, the shot is a little blurry. I was shooting at 800 ISO, 1/80th of a second handheld with a 135mm lens, f2.8. The field wasn't lit extremely well...I was too far away for a flash to help at all. In hindsight, I could have shot in RAW and bumped up the exposure levels. I could also have shot in ISO 1600 and I probably would have been happy with how it turned out, if I shot in RAW.

I appreciate the thoughts!!
As for slowing down, I took some pictures at a sunrise about a month back. It was rather dark and I was trying to shoot very low ISO, they really aren't the greatest either, but I'm rather proud of them
Other Pictures

Really, I appreciate the feedback! Thank you!