Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I've been buffaloed
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Elk Island 
Posted By: daacon, 09-04-2011, 11:02 AM

I got up late this morning. Figured I had enough time to get to Elk Island before sunrise - like Maxwell Smart use to say ..."missed it by that much"

Had to stop on the way down - colors were really good this morning.

So once I arrived - took the standard Bison shots - they almost know me by name.

Young fella @ breakfast

Almost rutting season - this is a pretty common show off site now (wallowing)

Curious about me but thankfully not curious enough to challenge me.

They come in large sizes as well ..

You could hear the grunting ... soon be time to take a mate and then I'll be considerably more cautious of these beasts ..

Views: 1,266
09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, you got some great color in that first shot, makes it worthwhile getting up early. Just curious, can you walk around wherever you want where the buffalo roam,or is there some type of safety fence?
09-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave, you got some great color in that first shot, makes it worthwhile getting up early. Just curious, can you walk around wherever you want where the buffalo roam,or is there some type of safety fence?
Thanks Bob I am kicking myslef for not getting up 30 minutes earlier As for Elk Island there is no "safety net' per say. If you were inclined you could walk right up to one.(But I would not recommend it). They have a gate surounding the park so they can't escape accross the highway and some Texas gates to prevent them from using the roads to leave the park . If I am near the road , I usually leave the car door open for a quick escape and if in the woods I try and plan an exit (ie: run for my life!) stratgey. Being that it is a national park they are pretty use to our species - just have to use some common sense
09-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I hope you won't be sleeping in on your trip bud!! . Love the shots from Elk Island. We still need to go there one day again! JIM

09-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are some BIG critters, buddy - nice shots. That morning sky is a stunner, as well.

Jer
09-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I hope you won't be sleeping in on your trip bud!! . Love the shots from Elk Island. We still need to go there one day again! JIM
Thanks Jim - no worries it was one of those weekends If I am up early enough I'll go - I miscalcuated when the Sun Rises thought I had an hour (it's a 20 minute dirve).

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are some BIG critters, buddy - nice shots. That morning sky is a stunner, as well.
Jer
Thanks Jer - yep at 1000 lbs or so for a full grown male you would not want to piss one off That sunrise would have looked better over a lake or trees instead of highway and powerlines.
09-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The third shot Dave tells me that you have the updated K5 that has the 30-03 chamber built in to the delete button..Good series--sunrise is very colorful.---charliezap

09-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for the shots ...every time I see buffalos I start salivating... I must have been a plains Indian in a past life. Think I'll go over to the Mad Musher restaurant and have a bison burger.
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The third shot Dave tells me that you have the updated K5 that has the 30-03 chamber built in to the delete button..Good series--sunrise is very colorful.---charliezap
haha indeed Charlie when I go out to shoot buffalos I take no prisoners !

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks for the shots ...every time I see buffalos I start salivating... I must have been a plains Indian in a past life. Think I'll go over to the Mad Musher restaurant and have a bison burger.
Thanks Norm - indeed a bison burger is a tasty treat (we have them at the local farmers market).