Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Backlit and Peeking Sun
Lens: DA 12-24 / Tamron 70-200 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Elk Island 
Posted By: daacon, 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM

This was on Buffalo Loop - a dirt road that loops around where the Buffalo Roam - It was a nice night last night and I had more than one car stop , stare at what I was taking a picture of and then asking me - are there any buffalo there - One lady asked me where the Elk and Moose are to which I replied - they usually hang out somwhere in the 194 sq km of the park (75sq miles) - actually that was my inside voice, just mentioned you would be fortunate to see them this time of night.

Anyway a different take from the lake sunsets and bison shots

Views: 1,874
09-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pretty pics, Dave. I like the second very much.
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the 2nd also, lots of area for the wildlife to hide out. Dave, are there a lot of predators in this park, excluding the people of course and is this an actual island? thanks Bob
09-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Pretty pics, Dave. I like the second very much.
Thanks causey appreciate you stopping by.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I like the 2nd also, lots of area for the wildlife to hide out. Dave, are there a lot of predators in this park, excluding the people of course and is this an actual island? thanks Bob
THanks Bob - depends on waht you consider predators There are coyotes , owls (I have never seen) , Elk, Moose, Caribou and of course Bision. (lots of other wildlife as Beavers, many other birds ,etc). I have seen an Eagle there once as well. There are runours of a Canadian Lynx but I have never seen one. As for an Island no , it has a long history but the as to why it is called an island can be summed up by 'an island of protection for the heritage resources within its boundaries and an island refuge for people seeking to escape from the urban hustle and bustle. Elk Island National Park is recognized as 'an island of nature surrounded by a landscape of man.'

09-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks causey appreciate you stopping by.

Thanks Bob - depends on what you consider predators There are coyotes , owls (I have never seen) , Elk, Moose, Caribou and of course Bison. (lots of other wildlife as Beavers, many other birds ,etc). I have seen an Eagle there once as well. There are rumors of a Canadian Lynx but I have never seen one. As for an Island no , it has a long history but the as to why it is called an island can be summed up by 'an island of protection for the heritage resources within its boundaries and an island refuge for people seeking to escape from the urban hustle and bustle. Elk Island National Park is recognized as 'an island of nature surrounded by a landscape of man.'
Thanks Dave, I was thinking on the wolf or mountain lion type predator. Thanks for the island explanation, makes sense to me. Bob
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if I were there I'd go back many times to get more photos!
09-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think if I were there I'd go back many times to get more photos!
Thanks liftfluss I do (I have a season pass ) more likley to see Elk and Moose in the winter as with all the rain we had this summer - food is a plenty in the Park and they don't wonder too close to the open fields so much.