Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Boardwalk Twilight
Lens: DA 15 and DA 35L Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Kemah Texas 
Posted By: Sailor, 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Yesterday, my wife and I had to drive the 50 or so miles up to Kemah to take care of some business and spent the night on our boat opting to come back this morning. We decided to have dinner on Kemah's boardwalk, since we knew the post Labor Day crowd would be small - and such was the case. After having a satisfying (but expensive) dinner, we wandered about and I shot a few frames. Here are four of them.

Jer

Making the evening mellow:

Tempting, but we'll be tied up with something else; I always hate to miss jazz performances in our area - they are few and far between:

A "street" light along the Kemah channel (note the technology employed to dissuade birds from regarding these lamps as places to sit and chat):

Twilight silhouette:

The sun is almost gone:

Views: 1,558
09-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jer, sounds like you had a great night on the town/dock, on or "under the boardwalk". Love the last pic, maybe a change in plans for the 17/18th might be worth it. Bob
09-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice evening indeed - looks a cool place to spend some time
09-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice series! All great shots! I like the first one...looks very refreshing! Tom

09-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I hope that the liquid in the glass is Sailor Jerrys"--capn zap
09-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice! Love the perspective of that first shot, excellent! We've eaten at Landry's a time or two.....maybe in Pensacola or somewhere in Alabama....can't recall? Not bad, but priced more for the atmosphere than the food IMHO.

My last visit to Galveston did not impress me with the seafood.....we actually have better up here at Bill Martins....but I am sure it was because we did not know where to go down there.

Nice shots you posted, makes me want to go to the coast again, if for no other reason, it might bring in a hurricane, and we need the rain so bad here that a hurricane would be welcome news up here.

Regards!
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ahhhh... nothing like a refreshing cocktail to take the edge off....and get one's groove on... really nice exposures on those lamps...dave m

09-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, sounds like you had a great night on the town/dock, on or "under the boardwalk". Love the last pic, maybe a change in plans for the 17/18th might be worth it. Bob
We did, buddy. Just a quick gettaway - we never even moved the boat. Alas, we can't make the jazz fest.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice evening indeed - looks a cool place to spend some time
Dave, it's a nice place, but often quite busy. These shots suggest a quiet patch along the water, but the Kemah Boardwalk, owned by Landry's, contains several restaurants, a permanent midway, a large marina, a hotel and scads of shops and places to play games and grab an overpriced beer. Sort of a theme park without an actual theme. The place sits right on the water where the first Landry's restaurant was opened a zillion years ago and where the Kemah channel empties into Galveston Bay. We pass bay often when we're motoring out or in and the restaurant smells always make my hungry. It's kinda nice to set walk on the water and see the channel from a different perspective.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Nice series! All great shots! I like the first one...looks very refreshing! Tom
Tom - I sure appreciate the nice words. And yeah - it was so refreshing I had another.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I hope that the liquid in the glass is Sailor Jerrys"--capn zap
Capn - I'm forced to admit that it was a Tanq an tonic (with a lime).

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 09-08-2011 at 06:35 PM.
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice! Love the perspective of that first shot, excellent! We've eaten at Landry's a time or two.....maybe in Pensacola or somewhere in Alabama....can't recall? Not bad, but priced more for the atmosphere than the food IMHO.

My last visit to Galveston did not impress me with the seafood.....we actually have better up here at Bill Martins....but I am sure it was because we did not know where to go down there.

Nice shots you posted, makes me want to go to the coast again, if for no other reason, it might bring in a hurricane, and we need the rain so bad here that a hurricane would be welcome news up here.

Regards!
Thanks for looking, my friend. Yeah - Landry's is pricy for sure - one of the reasons we haven't dined there in a while (we ate a the slightly less expensive Saltgrass next to Landry's). I can't help you with seafood in Galveston - we visit there only occasionally and my experience there is similar to yours. There is one place on the seawall I like, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name.

Frankly, I much prefer the seafood in Boston - when I lived there and when I visit. I do like a place called the TopWater Grill in San Leon (on the west side of the Bay a few miles south of Kemah) - the fish I've had there had been good and you can't go too wrong in a community whose motto is: "A community of drinkers with a fishing problem."

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
ahhhh... nothing like a refreshing cocktail to take the edge off....and get one's groove on... really nice exposures on those lamps...dave m
Thanks so much, Dave - it was a great evening. Connie and I sail fairly often, but we sometimes use the boat for a quick overnight getaway and enjoy the Kemah area - which is full of cool stuff.

Jer