Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Notting Hill's Carnival
Camera: Pentax k5 Photo Location: London 
Posted By: jonny1986, 09-08-2011, 03:14 AM

i assisted the 2011 edition of this beautiful carnival in london. It was my first time there and i was impressed by the event. This edition was clearly highly awaited after the clash that broke out in london in august and that put the City on fire for some days.
Lot of police everywhere patrolled the street and the event was really safe and lot of fun and happy people. London showed a real Big Happy Face this time to the world.
I was on holiday so i shoot with just one body and my iphone 4 for some hipstamatic photo, i love them recently. Mostly i used a 50-135, a 18-55 ( my 16-50 is still in france for repairin!! 2 months) that was really a surprise, not bad at all, not even near the 16-50 but pretty good, the sigma 8-16 for all wide angle shot, amazing lens for street and event but the big frontal bulb is really exposed, i used even the samyang fish eye. Most of the photo had some fill flash with metz 58 af1. all in all im pretty happy with the results considering it was my first year in londo carnival, and really didnt' know nothing about the event.
some sample

love the scene, it reminded me an old american telefilm, like " happy days".

this photo was casual, just shoot away wthout hope but don't know why i love this photo

the last is an experiment i try. Multiexposure. with 2 frame. I saw this beautful old woman
staring the crowd from a big window. She had a serious face and expression
and i figured to make a photo with her in focus and the crowd defocused. But i hadn't the space nor the lens need to compress the scene in that way. I woud have needed 300 meters behind me and a 400 2,8 probaby. So i used the brilliant multiexposure. I dont know if i managed to obtain the expected effect but i like the result. I applied some tone pp with color efex to increase the mood and contrast.

hope u like the stream
Views: 1,099
09-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
The image just prior to the "Afro" is incredible, "Nat.Geo. stuff/
09-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some excellent shots, last time i was at notting hill carnival was in 76 (lived there briefly) It looks like it was a little calmer this time