Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Les poseuses
Lens: DA 40/2.8, Helios 58/2, Tokina 28-70/2.8-4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Boston 
Posted By: causey, 09-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Views: 947
09-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You see the problem with all but #1 and #4, don't you? Remember, when you photograph, you aren't capturing a subject -- you're capturing LIGHT. In most of these pictures, the subjects are flat- or back-lit, so their features have little contrast and dimensionality. The faces are drowned-out by the brighter backgrounds. Some fill is needed. Even on-camera flash would help; side-flash or a reflector would help more.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.
09-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some classy looking portaits - particularly number 1, which I think is great. I much prefer a photo like this to those produced in a studio or with all kinds of light-modification gear.

My wife and I lived in Watertown in the early '70s, so I know (at least I hope I know) I'm looking at the Charles in the background. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've stood very near to where these lovely ladies are standing, but I can't place quite where this is - can you enlighten me?

Jer
09-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just can't go wrong with pretty ladies to photograph and I really like the colors in 1,4 and 5. Many times it is hard to control the outdoor lighting, but I take the photos anyway as a remembrance photo of a fun time. If I had to keep only the perfect photos, I wouldn't have any. Bob

09-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You see the problem with all but #1 and #4, don't you? Remember, when you photograph, you aren't capturing a subject -- you're capturing LIGHT. In most of these pictures, the subjects are flat- or back-lit, so their features have little contrast and dimensionality. The faces are drowned-out by the brighter backgrounds. Some fill is needed. Even on-camera flash would help; side-flash or a reflector would help more.
Thanks for the critique. Yes, I know... I tried to use my YN-560 flash, but didn't know how to use it properly. I used the flash's incorporated diffuser, which unfortunately didn't allow enough light to pass--or my settings weren't right. The problem was to make the light hit the subject; it's not easy to estimate the area light will cover when the environment is still filled with natural light. Easier in the dark, with the trial and error method. Anyway, it was meant to be a learning session--my second 'external flash' session. I need many more such sessions to familiarize myself with the flash. But I had some good, direct natural light for about 10 minutes, and I got some good shots (only two of which I included here). On the other hand, I liked the postures in a number of the 'bad' photos.

Last edited by causey; 09-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.
09-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
You just can't go wrong with pretty ladies to photograph and I really like the colors in 1,4 and 5. Many times it is hard to control the outdoor lighting, but I take the photos anyway as a remembrance photo of a fun time. If I had to keep only the perfect photos, I wouldn't have any. Bob
Thank you, Bob--pretty much my thought) Plus, my most successful PF sets included at least a couple of female portraits
09-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Some classy looking portaits - particularly number 1, which I think is great. I much prefer a photo like this to those produced in a studio or with all kinds of light-modification gear.

My wife and I lived in Watertown in the early '70s, so I know (at least I hope I know) I'm looking at the Charles in the background. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've stood very near to where these lovely ladies are standing, but I can't place quite where this is - can you enlighten me?

Jer
Thank you for your kind words, Jer. I took these pics near Harvard Brigde, MIT behind us.
Here's a photo that better reveals out position:

And two more of the generally preferred kind:

09-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Thank you for your kind words, Jer. I took these pics near Harvard Brigde, MIT behind us.

And two more of the generally preferred kind:
Ah, thanks my friend - that's just east of where we lived on Arsenal St. - no wonder it looked familiar. I did research in a now defunct Army research lab, and used the MIT library often, since it not surprisingly contained every chemistry journal published on the planet (and maybe a couple of off world ones too!).

Thanks also, for the additional pictures. The first really brings back the memories and thanks for posting additional pics of such an attractive subject. I dig the look on her face in the "middle" shot with the sailboat on the right edge of the photo. Super job.

Jer

09-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The last two are very good, especially #2 of the three. You see what an impact the 'modeling' light has, really bringing out her features. Yes, pretty models are great. Pretty models with flattering light are even better!
09-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I like the third one in the first series. Very pretty. Great capture of the Red.