Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First atempt at portrait Photos
Posted By: dermc, 12-03-2007, 05:51 PM

This is a pic i took of my nephew for Christmas.
All C & C would be a help... but please be gentle ..
Thanks,
derm

Stats: Pentax k100d ,SMC A 50mil 1.7 Ambient light.
Fake fire Place, Untamed 4 yr old

Last edited by dermc; 12-08-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Views: 2,460
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heya dermc, your pic/s arent showing up or no link posted.
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry all.. Took a bit to upload.. I had to resize.
Thanks derm
12-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a really nice picture, great composition, I do find the light a little subdued for my taste but it does have a nice soft effect.

The only thing I "sort of" dislike a little is that your nephew looks a little TOO serious At that age boys are trouble I'd expect to see maybe a little hint of a smile.

Just my very unprofessional 2 cents worth of course!

Pat

12-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shot, his pose suggests he's well beyond his 4 years lol My only reservation is theres a blue colour cast over the skin tones, an easy fix.
12-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
The only thing I "sort of" dislike a little is that your nephew looks a little TOO serious At that age boys are trouble I'd expect to see maybe a little hint of a smile.

Pat[/QUOTE]

Thanks,
After many many shots i picked this one just because the "smiling "versions looked fake.
Any hints on getting a child to smile without looking too put on?
derm
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have to admit I know next to nothing about taking "posed" pictures of kids, but I would guess that having something like spongebob on a TV behind you may create a smile on a kids face which doesn't look fake.

Pat

12-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is your first attempt at a portrait, you did really well, IMO! As someone pointed out, his skin is too blue and there's a little too much room above his head for my taste. Other than that, I think it's a great shot. Nice work!
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For a first portrait me thinks its great. Thefireplace is a nice addition and that's where the "seriousness" starts, unfortunately.

Like others have said the skin tone is not right. Adding a TV behind you would unfortunately add to the skin tone "bluz".

As Pat suggested, the lad should not be so serious, provide him with a favourite object.

Composition-wise, there is too much space on the left.

BUT, it really is a nice portrait - heck a thousand times better than I could do.
12-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all..
Very helpful comments. The blue skin tone is most likely form having a daylight keylight and everything else tungstun. added to poor clibration on my monitor (fixed now...well kinda).
as for the composition, I was trying to balance his positonwith the fireplace just to add warmth,
as far as the headroom goes, well i kinda liked the height of the fireplace behind him..Thats what i was thinking anyway.
derm
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my thoughts...

Hi Derm,

It's a very good first attempt, and several people have given feedback. I do love the fireplace in the background. Besides, my grandfather was from Cornerbrook, so I promise to be gentle...

Disclaimer: We are only talking classical portraiture here, so I am critiquing the image with that in mind.

One important area of portraiture is if you are doing this sort of composition, generally you want parts to "match". Therefore both arms, hands, and shoulders in the photo. It can be somewhat distracting if the hand, leg, or another body part of a pair is missing. Obviously there are many other ways for the pose, and in this case both shoulders should be in the picture. It's almost there, but in my mind, the right side of the image is cutting it too close to the head and part of his shoulder is missing.

Try taking a shot with someone's shoulder or arm missing in the image - let me know what you think after after trying that type of shot. I hope that makes sense? Excellent first start, and quite a serious pose!

Cheers,
Marc
12-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #12

Fairly nice shot,

In addition to the comments above you may want to think about the background a bit. Its a preference call but the child wearing red sweater, with brown hair seems to make for a subdued picture in indoor lighting with a redish fireplace behind it and the brown painted wall. The colors don't really play off each other when I look at it. You almost loose the top right corner of his hair against the shadows from the fireplace due to this color similarity.

Just my thoughts. Overall well done. Kids can be a handful.
12-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

Nice first attempt.

Not going to critique the pose/staging - it's subjective.

Technically, it's underexposed by 1/2-2/3 f-stop, white balance is off (too blueish) - all easily correctable in RAW file.
Cropping is too tight around the body with too much ceiling on top.