Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It's A Fly's World
Lens: Vivitar 105mm 2.5 Macro Camera: K5 Photo Location: Maryland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: joe.penn, 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Some fly shots from today:

(Bearded Robber Fly)

Views: 1,288
09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Joe, those are really great shots, do you use some type of extension tube? I have got to give this a try as soon as I can find some insects. Bob
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice series Joe. It looks like that we have the same flies.This guy landed on my knee when I was sipping my merlot.I think that he wanted a drop or two.---charliezap
Name:  015-1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  81.4 KB
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Joe, those are really great shots, do you use some type of extension tube? I have got to give this a try as soon as I can find some insects. Bob
Bob, I very rarely pull out the extension tube setup. When I do use the extension tube setup, it is a 55mm 1.8 Super Tak mounted to tubes and will use the LED ring light for lighting.

Here is a picture (a brief description follows) of my setup that goes with me when going macro shooting:

Basically, all of this is with me when going macro shooting:

K5 (will take and use KX when not shooting insects)
Vivitar 105mm 2.5 1:1 Macro
Vivitar 28~105mm 1:2.5 Macro
Takumar 55mm 1.8
Extension Tube Set
Flash w/ trigger set
Flash diffuser box (not shown)
LED Macro Ring Light
LED Light Panel (not shown)

The K5 with the Viv'ee 105 and the flash is always with me no matter what as that is the main setup, the other stuff is in the backpack and ready for use if needed. One of the great things about this setup for me is the flexibility in the flash setup I have; at any time I can slide that flash off of the flash shoe, attach the transmitter (rubber banded on unit) to the body's hotshoe and I have a handheld flash as the wireless receiver acts as a flash grip - this gives me great flexibility and control of the fill lighting.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice series Joe. It looks like that we have the same flies.This guy landed on my knee when I was sipping my merlot
Yep, I am sure he would have hung around for a while too if you would have given him some...

09-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joe, I wish you could of seen my wife's face when I showed her the photo of your macro setup and told her that this is all I need to take insect macro photos. I do have a Pentax 50mm 2.8 macro lens and an AF360 flash unit, and a set of extension tubes which I have never used, so as soon as I get a chance, will start to experiment a bit. Thanks so much for the info. Bob
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, those are great shots! I'm just getting into the macro world (Saturday was my first attempts), and I can't wait to get a true ~100mm macro lens. I also need to get a decent flash setup or modify the one I have.

I hope to get images as good as these some day!
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I do have a Pentax 50mm 2.8 macro lens and an AF360 flash unit, and a set of extension tubes which I have never used, so as soon as I get a chance, will start to experiment a bit. Thanks so much for the info. Bob
Make sure you post some of the photos when you do get a chance to take some

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Wow, those are great shots! I'm just getting into the macro world (Saturday was my first attempts), and I can't wait to get a true ~100mm macro lens. I also need to get a decent flash setup or modify the one I have.
I hear the Tamron SP AF 90mm is a pretty good macro lens. For flash, I am using the YN-560 flash and loving it - it is a manual flash and extremely easy to use; the control layout to control the flash output is really simplistic and allows for very quick flash power output adjustments...

---

09-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Closed Account

Nice shots Crypt! Love the third one!
09-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Nice shots Crypt! Love the third one!
Ya, was out looking for the robber fly the whole time I was out there, then getting ready to leave the field I had to take a leak and while at the tree, that robber fly lands right in front of me and stares me down. When you are looking for those things you can't find em, when not looking for them they stalk you the whole time you are out there...

---