Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ancient Rainforest
Lens: Sigma 28-80 Camera: Pentax MZ5 Photo Location: Tasmania, Australia ISO: 100 
Posted By: RobG, 09-14-2011, 03:29 AM

This is part of an ancient temperate rainforest in Tasmania's South East National Park. I believe it's a trail now called the "Creepy Crawly Trail".

I was just checking that the Nikon scanner still works. I took this photo on Fujichrome 100 slide film in 1991. Correction to the photo information - the camera was a Chinon CE4s and the lens was a Makinon 28mm f2.8.

Last edited by RobG; 09-14-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: more info
Views: 1,299
09-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
This is part of an ancient temperate rainforest in Tasmania's South East National Park. I believe it's a trail now called the "Creepy Crawly Trail".

I was just checking that the Nikon scanner still works. I took this photo on Fujichrome 100 slide film in 1991. Correction to the photo information - the camera was a Chinon CE4s and the lens was a Makinon 28mm f2.8.
Yep, she still works.
Which NIKON model would this be?
I have the NIKON Super Cool Scan 4000 ED, its about 7 years old. Scanning results are superb, if I can get it to work, it does not run in Win 7 there is no driver for it, so every time I want to run the bugger I need to boot up Win XP. Another great example how Companies treat their customers. Still I don't run the thing that often these days.

The scanner is also very very slow. I initially bought it to digitize all my negs but after having timed how long it takes to scan one neg and allowing for at least 8 hours sleep per day, let alone all other human activities, I calculated it would take me to the year 2090 to finish the job. Must make a start soon!

Greetings
09-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Which NIKON model would this be?
The LS30 aka Nikon Coolscan III.

QuoteQuote:
I have the NIKON Super Cool Scan 4000 ED, its about 7 years old.
I wish!

QuoteQuote:
Scanning results are superb, if I can get it to work, it does not run in Win 7 there is no driver for it, so every time I want to run the bugger I need to boot up Win XP. Another great example how Companies treat their customers. Still I don't run the thing that often these days.
I'm running mine in Windows 7 64bit. Use Vuescan. It does a better job than Nikonscan anyway. I just checked and the driver I'm using is one which was provided with Vuescan. I just checked and Vuescan supports your scanner in 32bit and 64bit versions. To get my scanner working in Windows 7 I ended up buying a SCSI to USB adapter, because the old SCSI card I was using wasn't supported in Windows 7.

QuoteQuote:
The scanner is also very very slow. I initially bought it to digitize all my negs but after having timed how long it takes to scan one neg and allowing for at least 8 hours sleep per day, let alone all other human activities, I calculated it would take me to the year 2090 to finish the job. Must make a start soon!
I think I'm in a similar situaiton but perhaps not quite as extreme. The LS30 has a motorised filmstrip unit, but I don't use it because I found that it scratches the film - and the light source used by the LS30 brings out every little defect in the film. The only motorised film adapter I've used was the adapter for APS film. I've never actually shot APS myself, but someone else had a bunch of APS they wanted to scan, so they paid me enough to buy the adapter and I scanned the films. Scanning with an automated film mechanism is a LOT easier than feeding the unit manually.
09-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that is very cool someone built a trail there nice shot.

09-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow that is very cool someone built a trail there nice shot.
Thanks! Literally and figuratively - it was winter at the time (back in 1991). The boardwalk is a necessity because the profusion of branches makes simply walking around difficult. Some of the forest in Tasmania is called "horizontal scrub" and was extremely difficult to get through.