Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yeatzee's macros: A picture and a video
Lens: Componon 80mm f/5.6 
Posted By: yeatzee, 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

testing out my new $10 componon lens, I woke up early this morning to get some photographs. Unfortunately it was extremely overcast, very windy, and appeared like it may rain. I kept on however, and was able to get this

Phidippus adumbratus adult male eating a fly. The image is a single *natural light* shot taken at I believe F/5.6 and a shutter speed of 1.6 seconds. I had to time it perfectly along with some luck to get a motionless shot

and a video showcasing it in action! I am very pleased to have been able to capture this moment. I have about 15 minutes of video with the fly just sitting there motionless, and I was beginning to give up when finally it all played out. With the new lens I get quite a large amount of working distance making this all possible

(view HD)

Last edited by yeatzee; 09-29-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Views: 1,302
09-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More of this an National Geographic will be wanting some shots and footage! Nicely done! What aperture were you at, the DoF was pretty shallow, shooting video I wouldn't use a lens without an aperture ring, just a little more control can go a long way!
09-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
More of this an National Geographic will be wanting some shots and footage! Nicely done! What aperture were you at, the DoF was pretty shallow, shooting video I wouldn't use a lens without an aperture ring, just a little more control can go a long way!
Thanks! The aperture was either F/5.6 or F/8, I cant remember. Pentax's video sucks, and has a lot of noise so im assuming I used the lens wideopen to get the most light = the smallest ISO.
09-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah it's a hard line to walk between DoF and heavy grain, what lens was that shot with? The Componon 50mm f2.8?

09-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very cool video of the hunter and the hunted
09-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

NM I finally looked at your flickr shot, 80 f5.6, whats your working distance with this lens?
09-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fine shot and video is fantastic.

09-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah it's a hard line to walk between DoF and heavy grain, what lens was that shot with? The Componon 50mm f2.8?
No, but i've been wanting to give that componon s 50mm a try

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very cool video of the hunter and the hunted
Thanks!

NM I finally looked at your flickr shot, 80 f5.6, whats your working distance with this lens?
A LOT...

the black line representing the end of the lens, the distance is from that point to the pinned bug (which is in focus) is the working distance.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Fine shot and video is fantastic.
Thanks. I got more conventional shots, and a 3 or 4 shot stack of the spider w/ prey, but I prefer that picture to go with the video (looks like the fly is crying!).
09-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Pretty fantastic, some real skill involved there...both on the spiders part and yours. Just loved that video! Hope you do more!
Regards!