Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K10D and Sigma 50-500 test
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Been fighting a bad cold for a week or so and out of sheer boredom I put the above on a tripod this morning and took some shots from inside the house through the double pane living room windows.

First the full frame and than a crop:

For this one I added the Sigma 1.4 TC. Again full frame and a crop:

While none of them are razor sharp, under the circumstances not too bad. I was surprized that even with the TC auto focus worked flawless.

Heinrich
Views: 1,886
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A great copy you have there! Hope you enjoy this lens thoroughly.

The zoom has substandard performance around 50mm ish range. But 500mm end performs not too bad just a tad dark to use.

Hope to see more of the shots from you soon

p.s. Wish you get well soon
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That does it! I HAVE to get my Bigma adjusted somehow. It is somehow off and I haven't nailed down exactly what the problem is. It seems to back focus at the long end. The wide end is fine though. It is really getting on my nerves. Does anyone know what the procedure is to send a lens to Sigma for calibration? I heard you have to send your camera in with the lens. I really don't want to do that especially this time of year.

And Heinrich, maybe not razor sharp to you, but they look dang good to me especially with a tc through glass!
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Been fighting a bad cold for a week or so and out of sheer boredom I put the above on a tripod this morning and took some shots from inside the house through the double pane living room windows.

Heinrich
Sounds like me! I have been shut-in for a week with a real nasty virus - I definitely can appreciate what you are going through. I thought of doing the same thing - take pictures through the windows, but I only have a snowy pine tree in front of the house and it didn't seem very photogenic. The only birds visiting now are common city pigeons - nothing even as exciting as a sparrow.

The Bigma is bang-on!

I wish you good health!

12-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I was surprized that even with the TC auto focus worked flawless.
Wow, that's very very interesting to know, after all the manuals say it won't work. I've been yet to try the 2 in conjunction.

Fantastic shots, goes to show the Bigma isn't as rough as many think.
12-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
A great copy you have there! Hope you enjoy this lens thoroughly.

The zoom has substandard performance around 50mm ish range. But 500mm end performs not too bad just a tad dark to use.

Hope to see more of the shots from you soon

p.s. Wish you get well soon
I bought this lens for the long end, I doubt that I'll ever use it for anything shorter than a 100mm. I need to get outside with it and become comfortable with it, both it and the K10D are new to me and are not 2nd nature yet.

Thanks for the well wishes, take care, Heinrich
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
That does it! I HAVE to get my Bigma adjusted somehow. It is somehow off and I haven't nailed down exactly what the problem is. It seems to back focus at the long end. The wide end is fine though. It is really getting on my nerves. Does anyone know what the procedure is to send a lens to Sigma for calibration? I heard you have to send your camera in with the lens. I really don't want to do that especially this time of year.

And Heinrich, maybe not razor sharp to you, but they look dang good to me especially with a tc through glass!
I would hate to send a camera in with the lens for lens calibration, what happens to the
the other lenses that work fine with the camera now? I never had a need to deal with Sigma service so I don't know.

Unless something goes wrong with it down the road this particular lens will be just fine after I get more comfortable with it.

Take care, Heinrich

12-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Sounds like me! I have been shut-in for a week with a real nasty virus - I definitely can appreciate what you are going through. I thought of doing the same thing - take pictures through the windows, but I only have a snowy pine tree in front of the house and it didn't seem very photogenic. The only birds visiting now are common city pigeons - nothing even as exciting as a sparrow.

The Bigma is bang-on!

I wish you good health!
Thanks for the kind words, it's getting better last week I didn't even want to see a camera. :-) Don't talk to me about city pigeons.........

Bigma will be just fine, take care, Heinrich
12-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Wow, that's very very interesting to know, after all the manuals say it won't work. I've been yet to try the 2 in conjunction.

Fantastic shots, goes to show the Bigma isn't as rough as many think.
Keep in mind that these shots had reasonable good light, without bright sunlight it will probably be a slightly different story as far as AF goes.

Heinrich
12-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah yes, but the manual says it wont work at all.
12-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Heinrich, your shots have convinced me to get that lens. Its a bit over my budget but i think it will be worth every penny
12-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Heinrich, your shots have convinced me to get that lens. Its a bit over my budget but i think it will be worth every penny
Was a bit over my budget as well but when the price dropped by $400 (due to the high CND dollar) I couln't resist, just as well...:-)

Heinrich
12-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hope you're getting over your cold now Heinrich. Great sharp shots in this and your earlier test of the Bigma. You've muddied the waters for me though. I have agonised over whether to go for the Sigma 135-400, the Bigma or try to find an affordable 300 or 400mm prime to use with a TC. I had more or less settled on the 135-400 but now you've got me thinking about the Bigma again, though the cheapest I can find it in England is £709 which will stretch my budget. Perhaps I should have gone shopping for it while I was in BC in November. How do you find the weight and balance?

Paul