Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mountain Men Transportation
Lens: DA 10-17 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Banff, Canada ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: daacon, 09-28-2011, 07:43 AM

We had two vehicles there but Jim's new 2011 Ford Tarus was the vehicle of choice when driving around from spot to spot - Grant and Anne were the 'spotters' in the back seat for wildlife and I was the Navigator known as Dave Dave (and once in a while some names that would require me to apply the not safe for work lable here haha) - on occassion Dave Dave lost the satilite signal and got us turned around and heading in the worng (then right, then wrong again) direction but we always arrived at the next destination (Dave Dave is wating for a firmware upgrade , next trip will be way more accutate!)

Here is the spotter and the driver determining the next location (Anne did not make this leg)

Now Grant, Jim and I are all over 6 feet and very large people in general. Hard to believe we all fit in Jim's new 2011 Ford Tarus (it's really larger and has more room than it looks in this shot )

Views: 1,144
09-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't even remember you taking the first photo. Was into the book... or our bible. The taurus is a little roomier then the pictures shows!! Too funny Dave. JIM
09-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like fun...I wish I had some shooter friends around here to make those sort of trips. I've got Otis, but he eats the upholstery in my Jeep, and he wants to stop at every Convenience Store for peanuts and corn dogs.

I like the Taurus shot, and know from experience those are a nice ride! I bought Mrs Rupert a Ford Escape and love the folding deck in the rear just behind the front seats...perfect for keeping camera gear right at your fingertips.
Regards & keep having fun!
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I wish I had some shooter friends around here to make those sort of trips
Rubert, the one couple... Grant and Ann, came all the way from Australia. Dave and I are a little closer [Edmonton / Vancouver] JIM

09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Don't even remember you taking the first photo. Was into the book... or our bible. The taurus is a little roomier then the pictures shows!! Too funny Dave. JIM
Yep the fisheye is a stealth lens for sure ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Looks like fun...I wish I had some shooter friends around here to make those sort of trips. I've got Otis, but he eats the upholstery in my Jeep, and he wants to stop at every Convenience Store for peanuts and corn dogs.

I like the Taurus shot, and know from experience those are a nice ride! I bought Mrs Rupert a Ford Escape and love the folding deck in the rear just behind the front seats...perfect for keeping camera gear right at your fingertips.
Regards & keep having fun!
Thanks Rupert, I love the fisheye however the scenery was soo good I think that is the only time I had it on ! Jim's ride was a nice one indeed - it was chance Jim , Gratnt and Anne met at all but glad we all did and to get together again was just down right fun.
09-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, it looks like you were traveling with some tough customers - looks like fun to me.

Jer
09-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the best treasures are found while you are lost, or at least that is the way with us.

09-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what the spotter spotted...????

Hi all,
Currently in Blanding Utah, enroute for Monument Valley tomorrow and hopefully able to spend a few days there.
Thought I had better contribute to the thread(s) of our trip with Jim & Dave. Full marks to the Ford Taurus, very quiet (except for the ruckus from the front left seat when Dave Dave (standing in for Tom Tom) had software failure, but like all hardware, a couple of slaps and a few swift kicks had it up & running again....

Posting a couple of shots below, the overlook shot was from today, just a few miles up the road from where we turned around in 2009. Followed the Burr Trail all the way to Bullfrog and took the ferry across, a good drive but care is needed on the corrugated dirt section in the middle.

Other two shots are Canada....Oh Canada...what more can you say, it really is so beautiful.

If I can get satisfactory wi fi connections I will post more as I go....other wise its two weeks to home.

Cheers.

The Burr Trail makes its way down to the Waterfold Pocket in Utah. One of the great drives.
Attachment 104845

Pre Dawn. Canada. No pp, straight off the camera.
Attachment 104843

First light. Canada.
Attachment 104844

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
09-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

love the last image Grant and looks like you are still having a great trip! See you soon. JIM
09-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Dave, it looks like you were traveling with some tough customers - looks like fun to me.
Jer
Thanks Jer yeah it was a motley crew that morning (Anne was not with us then) still a great time though haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Some of the best treasures are found while you are lost, or at least that is the way with us.
Yep I agree Bob we got a few spots from out spotters peaking through the windows and the trees stop ! Back up - looks like potential and indeed it was.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi all,
Currently in Blanding Utah, enroute for Monument Valley tomorrow and hopefully able to spend a few days there.
Thought I had better contribute to the thread(s) of our trip with Jim & Dave. Full marks to the Ford Taurus, very quiet (except for the ruckus from the front left seat when Dave Dave (standing in for Tom Tom) had software failure, but like all hardware, a couple of slaps and a few swift kicks had it up & running again....

Posting a couple of shots below, the overlook shot was from today, just a few miles up the road from where we turned around in 2009. Followed the Burr Trail all the way to Bullfrog and took the ferry across, a good drive but care is needed on the corrugated dirt section in the middle.

Other two shots are Canada....Oh Canada...what more can you say, it really is so beautiful.

If I can get satisfactory wi fi connections I will post more as I go....other wise its two weeks to home.

Cheers.
Dave Dave needs a swift kick once in while een when he is working Nice shots Grant - glad (and jelous) your adventure continues - Burr trail looks interesting looking forward to more as for the last two well I know them well great shots.