Some with 70-200 2.8 and some with 50 1.4

Please give honest opinions...

Views: 1,190
09-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Nice work avoiding the headlights.
09-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Honest opinions? You have great taste in friends, or at least your friends have great taste in machinery.

The first shot is perfect, I like the last too but it's a bit under exposed even for a dusk shot. The seat shots don't do anything for me and I don't like the burnt edges or colours on the other.
09-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah...the headlights were the definitive characteristic of the 749, 999 series. That of course with the clacking sound of the dry clutch and growl of the L-twins. First photo is my favorite, show's the bike in a natural state without the stand. 3rd photo probably my least favorite, were you just focusing in on the Italian stripes of the Sargeant seat?

Anyhow, I love Ducatis and can talk about them all day long.

Edit: Ridiculous license plate though...Lol.

09-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ditto on the nice friends.. all though true friends would also let you ride it for a week to be able to get a feel for what surrounds would truly compliment it

As for feedback - First one is the benchmark for sure. Next two are good close in shots - although one of the rear rim and swingarm in context with the ducktail would have been a good addition...

The last two - are good. But I would have thrown some more light on the bike, maybe gelled to match the dusk lighting (even though its changing every 30 seconds I know... but something close... ). In the 2nd last pic bit more on the right of the bike, in the very last, bit more on the left of the bike. And on both of them I would have gone for a bit of rim light in a shot - not sure if it would work or start looking a little too contrived but might have worked.. even just popping one end of the bike like the top cowl or the ducktail...

But either way - I'd have been happy walking away with the first one !
09-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Honest opinion ?, here we go.
Shots 3 & 4 I do not much care for. Particularly shot four, I don't like much the HDR treatment. A lot of people use it these days without understanding when it is appropriate to do so. I think they use it because they can with modern software. Also some people think they can rescue a dull shot (colour and motive wise, particularly sunsets where people think more is better) by giving it a real over the top HDR blast. (And perhaps even tilt the image ). But I know you are not one of those because your HDR is not over the top.

In some other posts here I have suggested to print certain captures on Metallic Inkjet Paper. Your first and second shot would be a candidate for this. The last shot I like the best but it could perhaps benefit from brightening it up just a smidgen, not a lot mind you. But this is difficult suggestion to make because your monitor may not be calibrated and therefor it may be hart for you to see.

You ask for it, and I am always honest

Greetings
09-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks I DO appreciate the negative comments, (sometimes more than positive) Because they really help me to "ease up" on bad habbits of mine. (without comments like the HDR ones, TRUST ME, they would all be HDR'ed to the max) LOL

So you guys didnt like the black/white italian flag seat photo? i liked that one alot, it just seemed very suttle, but impactful.....

Here are a few more, how do you feel about these?

09-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

First two do it for me - stunning still of speed. Don;t really like #3 and #4 last one is ok - beuatiful machine.
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im surprised nobody liked the last one... what is it that you guys didnt like? it was one of my favorites. It was something like a 6 second shutter speed, in near darkness... I thought it came out good... No feelings hurt, just want to know what could be done better
09-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Im surprised nobody liked the last one... what is it that you guys didnt like? it was one of my favorites. It was something like a 6 second shutter speed, in near darkness... I thought it came out good... No feelings hurt, just want to know what could be done better
You are correct missed that one that is the best of the group. Great detail , nice DOF - well done
09-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
I like it - but the undertail and rear swingarm are too dark... as I said above... little bit of extra light on it and that would have been a stunner...
10-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those seat shots stand out, not bad. All the rest would be very nice, but the semi-trailers kinda screw up the background. Some of the PP is good thou. This shoot done on an air-field would have been fantastic. JMO.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.
10-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not a fan of the burnt edges & HDR either, I do however like the b/w seatshot it seems to be a nice touch like you said not a bad way of isolating the Italian heritage but i'm no pro.

First shot is nice, I like how monotone and muted the background is to allow the bike to pop. The final shot, I like the lighting and how the rotors illuminate with a longer exposure, but I also agree its a tad underexposed - that and the annoying blue reflection on the tank. The final shot from your second lot has to me, too shallow DOF leaving the front part of the bike slightly out of focus - maybe intentional, but it doesn't works for me. I think some of the angles the bikes just awkward looking, not much you can do about that. I quite like first shot of your second lot, although the semi does detract when its easily recognizable (as compared to your first posts first shot, that draws you right to the bike)

Overall though, pretty solid effort - sexy bike, at least side on maybe try other locations?