Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Double Rainbow - Stitched Pano
Lens: DA 18 55 Camera: *ist DS Photo Location: Halton Hills ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Steinback, 09-30-2011, 01:15 AM

I was rained out while trying for long exposure shots of waterfalls and got to see a double rainbow as a consolation prize on the way home. This is 7 frames at 18mm stitched in Autostitch, and I'll probably go back and give it another try at a higher resolution. I happened to have my *ist DS backup body on the passenger seat drying out with the 18-55mm kit lens on it, which was handy as the road doesn't have any good places to pull off in this stretch and I didn't want to stay on the shoulder any longer than I had to.

Views: 976
09-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Appears MUCH more difficult to find than a waterfall. Especially a totally unobstructed view like that. Congrats. I have never been able to get a view like that.

Did the shots use a CPL or did making a pano rule that out?
09-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well spotted and well done : imtheguy I have done Pano's with a CPL not an issue.
09-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who needs a 645D ? Well done!

09-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super - nice job.

Jer
09-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
imtheguy I have done Pano's with a CPL not an issue.
Good to know since if I EVER get a chance to shoot a nice rainbow I hope to have a CPL with me. do you need to reset the CPL for each frame or is the change in effect minimal through the panning?
09-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't use a polarizer because I didn't have one mounted or time to go digging through my bag (in the back, soaked from the rain). The sun was almost directly behind me so I don't think that a polarizer would need to be adjusted too much to cover the section of the sky shown here.

It's still raining quite hard here or I would do a quick test - stand with the sun to your back when it is about 2-3 hours from setting, adjust the polarizer for the sky directly in front of you, and then take photos covering about a 90 degree section of sky and see how much the colour changes across the shots. I was very lucky with both timing and lighting.