Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Llanthony Priory
Lens: Tamron 10-24 Camera: K-m Photo Location: Llanthony Priory ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: mde1970, 10-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Testing out a new wide angle lens on a hiking trip to 'The Brecon Becons' (in Wales). We came across a 12th century ruined Priory and took a few shots.

Quite pleased with the perspective the lens gives. A little bit of sun glare though. Not sure if it can be remedied by PP or if I should have done something to avoid this (but any advice gratefully received as I'm a relative newbie to photography)!

Attached Images

Views: 1,025
10-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you have the hood on the lens? Do you have a filter on the lens? Using the lens hood, and not using a filter unless needed for the shot (e.g., a polarizing filter), or at least using a high-quality filter, are the best safeguards against lens flare.

Bluer skies than I would have expected for the mountains of Wales! Looks like a fantastic place; nice capture and thanks for sharing.

When faced with bright skies and a mostly shadowed subject, taking bracketed exposures gives you some nice options for combining them in PP. A tripod helps but is not mandatory.
10-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot even with the flare - gives it a little local color :-)

(I thought "llanthony priory" was going to be some type of flower).
10-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for replies. I used a Hoya uv filter but no hood. I had the tripod with me the first day along with 20kg of camping kit. Had to leave it all behind on the second day as it slowed us down too much. I'll try bracketed shots next time though (assuming I have tripod) and see if this helps.

10-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got the same lens... i love how wide it can go... I would say a CPL would help a bit on the flare.. and the darker skies... but i agree with specialK the flare does give the shot a little color... Enjoy the lens.. here is a thread on the forums for the Tamron 10-24mm... We talk about best settings and so on.. Enjoy your trip!!
10-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hoya does make good filters but even so they offer a range, and some will have more flare than others. See the often-referenced lenstip review. Routinely using a hood is one of those simple things that will improve the quality of your shots; get in the habit.

You can do bracketed exposures without a tripod (not ideal, but workable). I assume the K-m has the auto-bracket feature; check your owners manual. You can fire off 3 or 5 shots while keeping the camera steady enough to be able to combine the shots in PP.
10-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pretty cool place in the heat of day a CPL filter would help and a Graduated ND - You can resuce the sky in pp depending on what software you use (layeres in PS, some brushes and filters in LightRoom, etc).

10-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
cheers all for the useful replies. I've had a go at fixing the sky in PS (and it looks fairly successful to my untrained eye). Tried not to remove all of the white as I think it looks more natural with graduation from blue to white. Will repost when I get home!
10-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok this is the final version. I tweeked the colours a little and tried to improve the sky (google is great)! I think its an improvement (so cheers for everyones advice). Will look into CPL filters when I have some funds available :-)
Attached Images