Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The power of "Mooseful" thinking
Lens: Various Camera: K5 Photo Location: Jasper 
Posted By: daacon, 10-01-2011, 03:44 PM

So our Aussie buddies made it a point from the moment we met there was no such thing as the mythical Canadian Moose. Grant was adamant all the moose spied from the highways were cardboard cut outs. It became the running joke while we were in Banff. Oh the next place is a great place for moose, or the moose come out at night here, or hey was that a moose I saw back in those bushes !! Oh yeah this is prime moose bogs here. I think you get the point. After several days in Banff / Yoho area we then turned our tales to oh Jasper will have moose, even on the drive we were ribbing them. We even visited a place called Moose Meadows!

On the first full day in Jasper I spotted this sign at the Lake we were at and took a snap. I asked Grant if he wanted a picture of him beside it.

Well I kid you not about 10 minutes and 4 landscape shutter clicks later and well , I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Mom

Calf

Mom and Calf together

Dad initially hidding in the bushes

But as luck would have it, he came out for some fine shots ...

I have many more ....

Jim and I acted as myth busters and put to rest the mythical Canadian Moose. Here's Grant as we pulled into a roadside stop to have a few "pops" to celebrate our good fortune (doing his best Moose impression)

I did say 'pops' as in plural did I not ?

And to put the icing on the cake a young couple came out the woods with about $15,000.00 worth of Nikon gear (a 300 f2.8 and a 500 f4 I think?) when we asked what they were shooting it was basically some sort of wild rodent. When they asked what we were shooting and Grant showed them on his $1500 K5 , they immediately said 'I HATE YOU' to which we all just smiled and cracked another Kokanee

Last edited by daacon; 10-01-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Views: 2,195
10-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots, that last one of the bull makes me wonder what he was thinking. Clearly, he was measuring you up with his beady eyes.
10-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, those are some great wildlife photos, including Jim and Grant. Is that some of that Canadian Moose Pee beer, I hear it has a real kick to it. Bob
10-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Great shots there Dave.Well deserved pops and icing.........Bas

10-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Dave, this made our trip!!! We bugged Grant so much about our great wild life and we went dry for a couple of days and then , Moose along with Elk. Seven and eight are the shots bud. One great mooose shot and Grant with his horns on!!! Does it get any better................. NOT!!! JIM
10-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good to see that you found what others fail to see in front of there eyes, Dave TFS

cheers

Last edited by cupic; 10-02-2011 at 07:50 PM.
10-02-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Great shots, that last one of the bull makes me wonder what he was thinking. Clearly, he was measuring you up with his beady eyes.
Thanks Ex Finn that is a crop and I was aware of my surroundings having an exit strategy planned cause ya never know when dealing with a wild animal.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave, those are some great wildlife photos, including Jim and Grant. Is that some of that Canadian Moose Pee beer, I hear it has a real kick to it. Bob
Thanks Bob indeed those two legged critters were wild ! Those are mountian fresh Koakanee's (5%) we made a convert out of Grant one of my favorite Canadian Beers (Brewed in BC). We always had a cooler full for our travels.

QuoteOriginally posted by basquist02 Quote
Great shots there Dave.Well deserved pops and icing.........Bas
Thanks Bas yep it's all about timing sometimes and we were fortunate that day for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Dave, this made our trip!!! We bugged Grant so much about our great wild life and we went dry for a couple of days and then , Moose along with Elk. Seven and eight are the shots bud. One great mooose shot and Grant with his horns on!!! Does it get any better................. NOT!!! JIM
Thanks Jim this was priceless indeed - that's the closest I have ever come to a wild moose as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Good to see that you found what ours fail to see in front of there eyes, Dave TFS
cheers
Thanks Ivan we almost missed the last shots about to leave and then Bam the Buck decides to come out in the open and pose for a few before heading off back into the woods.

10-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Humbled

Ah yes, what Dave & Jim say is ALL true, I was giving them plenty about their "mythical" moose, (particularly every time we drove past another cut out or picture) and I must give credit where its due....they took it well....gritted teeth & all. I'm not sure who was the happiest to see the Moose ?; me?....for finally getting to see an animal I have never seen in the flesh and actually admire greatly (dont ask me why, as I do not know....always have) or Jim & Dave ? who could proudly point to the moose and finally shut me up !!

And, yes, the priceless moment was the young couple with all the gear and her comment "I Hate You"....I think it took all of our dignity not to be literally rolling on the grass laughing !!

As to the comment re: the look in the bulls eye, what the pictures dont show is probably 10 -15 cars stopped on the road.....between which we were bravely moving around for the best angle, always keeping someone elses car between us & the moose.

Great shots Dave.

And a big vote for Kokanee......now that Millers has bought Fosters (national year of mourning declared in Australia)......thank god for Kokanee!
10-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Ah yes, what Dave & Jim say is ALL true, I was giving them plenty about their "mythical" moose, (particularly every time we drove past another cut out or picture) and I must give credit where its due....they took it well....gritted teeth & all. I'm not sure who was the happiest to see the Moose ?; me?....for finally getting to see an animal I have never seen in the flesh and actually admire greatly (dont ask me why, as I do not know....always have) or Jim & Dave ? who could proudly point to the moose and finally shut me up !!

And, yes, the priceless moment was the young couple with all the gear and her comment "I Hate You"....I think it took all of our dignity not to be literally rolling on the grass laughing !!

As to the comment re: the look in the bulls eye, what the pictures dont show is probably 10 -15 cars stopped on the road.....between which we were bravely moving around for the best angle, always keeping someone elses car between us & the moose.

Great shots Dave.

And a big vote for Kokanee......now that Millers has bought Fosters (national year of mourning declared in Australia)......thank god for Kokanee!
Thanks Grant believe me Jim and I were just as excited to see Da Moose ! and yep you can't beat glacier feed brewery (in fact I am having one soon )
10-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool photos Dave.
Enjoyable series and story.
Thanks for sharing.
10-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Awesome shots. And great story about the Nikon shooters. Nice to see some faces with names as well. Looks like a fun time was had by all (except the Nikonians that is).
10-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Cool photos Dave.
Enjoyable series and story.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for stopping bu Ash - you have met Grant right ?

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Awesome shots. And great story about the Nikon shooters. Nice to see some faces with names as well. Looks like a fun time was had by all (except the Nikonians that is).
Thanks Mel - yep it's all about the skill haha ! We just happened to be in right place at the right time , the whole photo opp lasted about 10 - 15 minutes. Still it's good to be lucky once in a while.
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow those are great shots and a fun story. Congrats!
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the mighty, magical, mystical but no longer mythical.....

.......moose.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
10-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Wow those are great shots and a fun story. Congrats!
Thansk Crewl1 appreacite you stopping by to comment (you always wonder if someone read all that !)

And Grant great moose shots ! You can take them home and show them to the locals - Myth Busted