Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Raining and the White Mountains (New Hampshire)
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K5 Photo Location: White Mountains, New Hampshire ISO: 400 Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: LFLee, 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Was at the mountains this past weekend and it was raining non-stop. The rain gave a certain mood to the fall colors though. Beautiful area and - I know I didn't travel much places yet - a mountain range I would say can compete with those in the west coast.... :-)
Shoot with K5 + DA*16-50, w/ CPL, ISO 400 mostly, f stop range from f4 - f8

Here are several photos:

More photos and larger versions can be view here:
IMGP4927 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Views: 1,687
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Closed Account

Very beautiful images of the fall season. Each photo is a nice composition and excellent colors.
10-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the mood and will be coming east and looking forward to seeing what you were blessed to capture. All of the images are very lovely.
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words, Tracy and Dice.

I hope I have known this place earlier and can go camping there this past summer. Pictures of stars across the Crawford notch would be awesome.

Dice, while maybe not as impressive as Yosemite valley, Crawford notch reminds me of it. I don't know other mountain range in the east that can compare to this place (Acadia and Smokey Mtns, two places I visited before, can't compete with this place)...going to Shenandoah in 2 weeks and hope it is as nice.

Glad you both enjoy the photos.

Lee

10-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

I like compositions and colors! Just maybe a bit oversharpened? Or is it just my lcd :-)
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SMeK Quote
I like compositions and colors! Just maybe a bit oversharpened? Or is it just my lcd :-)
Ya, I agree ..... I can't figure out the best image resize setting in CS5 is best for uploading to flickr. I choose the 'best for preserving hard edges' in the image resize dialogue box (but after loaded to flickr the largest size still seem soft). I use the default resize setting it came out soft (like the first one). I am still experimenting.... if you know the best settings (for web and for printing) please let me know.

Thanks for the comment!
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

It's is all about situation.. Since i got tamron 17-50 i use only bicubic sharpen option and that is all without aditional sharpening. I will post now one flower here so you can decide is it sharp enough. :-) But there is no ultimate solution.. EG if you are taking pictures of your pets i would suggest you to use USM to get sharper hair... Try with USM radious 0.2-0.3 from 350%-400%.. This is just my two cents..

10-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series in the east you guys get the wonderful reds (Maple Trees) - use to do a fall drive in New England as a kid every year - you can't control mother nature but you did very well.
10-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SMeK Quote
It's is all about situation.. Since i got tamron 17-50 i use only bicubic sharpen option and that is all without aditional sharpening. I will post now one flower here so you can decide is it sharp enough. :-) But there is no ultimate solution.. EG if you are taking pictures of your pets i would suggest you to use USM to get sharper hair... Try with USM radious 0.2-0.3 from 350%-400%.. This is just my two cents..
Thanks Dave for the kind words, I am new to New England but already love this place.

SMek, I didn't do any sharpening, just image resize, with "Bicubic" for several of them (this is the default), then I found that they are soft when upload to flickr or facebook - I resize to 1024 height. Then I change to "Nearest neighbor" for the remaining and I found out they are sharp (maybe too sharp for some!). I didn't see the "USM" that you talk about? I am new to CS5... so appreciate your tips.

Lee
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice work. Beautiful place.
10-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks Dave for the kind words, I am new to New England but already love this place.

SMek, I didn't do any sharpening, just image resize, with "Bicubic" for several of them (this is the default), then I found that they are soft when upload to flickr or facebook - I resize to 1024 height. Then I change to "Nearest neighbor" for the remaining and I found out they are sharp (maybe too sharp for some!). I didn't see the "USM" that you talk about? I am new to CS5... so appreciate your tips.

Lee
In my humble opinion - nearest neighbor is overkill.. Try to resize with bicubic sharper option. For eg try to resize arhitecture photo with nearest neighbor and then with bicubic sharper and see what will happen :-)

Then again dont get me wrong, I really like your pictures :-)
10-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Very nice shots.I've been there before during the Fall season and it is beautiful.--charliezap
10-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! Beautiful series!
Did a lot of skiing up there! Tom
10-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks SMek for the tip! I will try that option next time, new to CS5 and also try to find the best resizing for best display on flickr, etc. So comments and directions help me to improve. :-)

Thanks Charlie and tpg2! glad you enjoyed the photos. I heard that is a famous place for skiing - must be nice in winter!

Lee
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beautiful fall foliage photos !! the clarity and pentax colors are stunning... worthy of printing and framing, dave m